A plan : bit perfect devices streaming from PC USB port to AV receiver HDMI port
Dec 28, 2015 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

foobar2015

New Head-Fier
I don't want to buy an expensive external DAC to replace my Marantz AV receiver. I have a computer, which should convert any lossless audio format to PCM by software easily.

So I have an idea to build bit perfect network connected devices that streams PCM from PC USB port to my AV receiver HDMI port.  I will post my DIY log. Please let me know if you have any idea or comments.

DIY Log

***********************************************************************************
Dec 26, 2015
My first step is to capture PCM from PC. One of easy solutions is to build a DAC to capture PCM and then streaming PCM over network. There may be an alternative easy way to use ALSA API to create a virtual sound cards. But it is not portable to Windows and Mac. I do have Mac and Windows at home beside Linux.

On the other hand, using USB DAC is a hassle free solution. UAC2 device is plug and play in Linux and Mac. But it requires more software work. After some researching,  I decide to reuse my odroid U2 arm board with USB OTG port and make it a USB DAC.  

***********************************************************************************
Dec 28, 2015
After two days hacking, I managed to aplay PCM from host PC and listen sound from odroid u2 board. Although the tempo doesn't sound right, this is a great step. I will investigate more. It should be an issue in f_uac2 code.

[To be continue]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back