A PC sound card to match my needs
Sep 7, 2007 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Pennarin

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'll be running Vista with DirectsX10, so I won't be using accelerated audio in the future.

I'll still need an onboard (because I don't want clutter on my desk) sound card, mostly as a good DAC to run my headphones on. (I'll use a PenguinAmp as well.)

Problem is, good DAC cards on the web all seem to be targeted at audiophiles who want to produce music or power home theaters...which I won't be doing.

Help!

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 20
What about the Auzen Sondigo Inferno? I don't do surround, or intend to in the future. I probably won't play EAX games either. I just want to listen to movies, music, and play a few games.

Sep 9, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 20
Sep 9, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennarin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be running Vista with DirectsX10, so I won't be using accelerated audio in the future.

I'll still need an onboard (because I don't want clutter on my desk) sound card, mostly as a good DAC to run my headphones on. (I'll use a PenguinAmp as well.)

Onboard sound implies that the sound card is built into the motherboard. So if that's what you want, you already have it.
biggrin.gif

I'm assuming that you mean you want an internal sound card.

Finding a good card for Vista is an issue at this point, because a lot of the drivers for sound cards are not fully-functional or complete for that OS. Hopefully some Vista users can chime in with some newer recommendations.

What's your budget, anyway?

Sep 9, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 20
Yes, I meant internal
icon10.gif

This is the second time somebody is refering me to the Turtle USB DAC
600smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your budget, anyway?

...already too high? /sight
For example, I'll be running Harman Kardon Soundsticks II (as good as others, but chosen for style) and AKG 701 with PenguinAmp. About it.

Sep 9, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 20
Here's the current setup:

CD/game/bhla-->audio card-->cemoy amp-->AKG headphones

CD/game/bhla-->audio card-->speakers

....OR....

CD/game/bhla-->meier move-->AKG headphones

CD/game/bhla-->????speakers????

Heuh, how do I make a 2.1 speaker system work if I don't have an internal sound card, but only an external amp/DAC that's probably not rated to power a big 2.1 system? It looks like the meiver move has but a 1/4" connector only.
Or, can I run the speakers directly through the motherboard's onboard audio?

Would this last option offer too crappy a quality even for speakers?

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 20
Heuh, how do I make a 2.1 speaker system work if I don't have an internal sound card, but only an external amp/DAC that's probably not rated to power a big 2.1 system? It looks like the meiver move has but a 1/4" connector only.
Or, can I run the speakers directly through the motherboard's onboard audio?

Would this last option offer too crappy a quality even for speakers?

Are you under the impression that your sound card powers your speakers? Because your 2.1 system surely powers itself. Or perhaps you mean, where do you connect it. Whatever soundcard you end up using, you should be able to run the speakers off the analog output of the card. You're planning on running the headphone amp/DAC setup off the digital-output of the card, correct?

Sep 9, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 20
AV-710 using HQ Alt Out, best $25 I've spent for my computer.

Sep 9, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 20
I wasn't talking about electricity, but the rest, like the "ma" rating and such. If anyone can tell me I can plug in the 2.1 speakers in the amp/DAC itself, then good.

Otherwise I might need to plug in the speakers in a standard speaker port on the computer...and failing having an internal sound card would mean it would need to plug in the motherboard, if the motherboard provides sound. Right?

You're planning on running the headphone amp/DAC setup off the digital-output of the card, correct?

Yes, in that setup it would work that way.
CD-->internal audio card-->cemoy amp-->headphones

AV-710 using HQ Alt Out

That indeed sounds like a good card, from the website and reviews and comments on this forum. What is HQ Alt Out?

Sep 10, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 20
The soundsticks will plug right into the AV710 no problem.

The rear speaker outputs on the AV710 have a better DAC than the front outputs. You swap the front and rear outputs in software to get the better DAC on the card running your speakers.

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You swap the front and rear outputs in software to get the better DAC on the card running your speakers.

I have no idea how to do this. When the time comes, I'll post for some help if I can't figure it out.

A review on the net said the card's 2 channel DAC is a lot better than the multi-channel one, but did not mention the card would not automatically recognise your setup as 2.1 and start using the 2 channel DAC...

And when using a portable amp like the cmoy or move, how and where do I plug that in?

Another obscure comment that wasn't explained, what is HQ Alt Out?

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 20
the problem with av-710 is in vista the drivers are not up to scratch and HQ alt out is not available
frown.gif

pennarin, to clarify, the hq alt out is a 2 channel analogue alternative that goes through a nice wolfson DAC stage resulting in much nicer sound. However to use it you have to enable it in software (drivers) and it will go to the rear speaker output. However this is only available on xp/2000 at this time
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pennarin, to clarify, the hq alt out is a 2 channel analogue alternative that goes through a nice wolfson DAC stage resulting in much nicer sound. However to use it you have to enable it in software (drivers) and it will go to the rear speaker output. However this is only available on xp/2000 at this time
frown.gif

That was my understanding of it, but Joshatdot claims that he got the Wolfson DAC output to work in Vista (though only bit-perfect at 96/192 kHz, not the standard 44.1 kHz possible in XP).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennarin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another obscure comment that wasn't explained, what is HQ Alt Out?

You'll understand once you see the AV-710's tray control panel.

Basically, all you need to do is plug into the "Back Surr." jack and click the 2-channel HQ mode within the sound card's tray menu. Done.
biggrin.gif

There are some other issues regarding optimal audio for the AV-710 in Vista, but if you get that card, we'll be here to iron them out.

Also: a 2.1 computer speaker system doesn't take 2.1 input, it takes 2.0 input (i.e. typical stereo input) and uses an internal crossover to determine what gets sent to the subwoofer and satellites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back