A pair of Senn's to my Audigy2 ?
Nov 26, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #16 of 28
Those are some expensive cables.. the truth is, I wouldn't spend money on those cables.. they're another $150 or so on top of the cost of the headphone. They just bring out better characteristic out of the headphone... but once you've spent that much, add the cost of the headphone + cable together, you could've gotten something much better than the HD590 anyway.

Nov 26, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #18 of 28
Does the Audigy2 not have a built-in amp that ignites when you select Headphones under Speaker Settings? Well not much of an amp, but it gives out more power than the Speakers setting, which is line-level.

Nov 27, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #19 of 28
That headphone setting is a crossfeed function coupled with HRTF signals that sound terrible. However, if you play games and want proper sound, it is a necessary evil. The Santa Cruz and Nforce Soundstorm's headphone modes sound leagues better.

Nov 27, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
Those are some expensive cables.. the truth is, I wouldn't spend money on those cables.. they're another $150 or so on top of the cost of the headphone. They just bring out better characteristic out of the headphone... but once you've spent that much, add the cost of the headphone + cable together, you could've gotten something much better than the HD590 anyway.

I beg to differ

First question- .....and what would you say is better for the money ($300 total)?
Second question- have you listened to the 590s with the Equinox ?

I was skeptical also, $150 for a replacement cable on a brand new set of cans!?!?
But that was before I actually listened and compared.

The HD590s are very, very nice. The stock cord (doesn't quite earn the term "cable") leaves one wanting for fullness in the bass dept and richness in the upper mids, but the Equinox deals with both quite handily. Well worth their weight.
I find them excellent for a wide range of musical styles. They have been described as forward in the mids, I guess I like it that way. They are highly detailed across the board. If it's in there, you'll hear it! The easily driven handle seems a bit of a curse with these cans, yes it's true they are easily driven, but they do bloom very nicely with good amplification. (they match up quite well with tubed amps)
If you want laid back, get the 600s, these 590's are for the more "active" listener.

Randu

PS: I can't imagine a more comfortable set of headphones

Nov 27, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #21 of 28
uhmn, I really haven't even considered buying an extra cord, since the price of the headphones alone are a bit steap.

and, ooheadsoo, are you sure of that statement ? I've heard, that the Audigy2-series and M-Audio is the most capable soundcards on the market ..

would you suggest me to use another prefix than the "headphones" ?

Nov 27, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #22 of 28
m-audio, terratec, but audigy 2??
audigy 2 is not bad and a must if you're a gamer who demands every last ounce of performance, but technically speaking it's not quite up to m-audio's offerings.

I think it still sounds fine though, except for the headphone mode. Maybe they fixed it with the latest audigy 2 that came out a short while ago.

Nov 27, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
m-audio, terratec, but audigy 2??
audigy 2 is not bad and a must if you're a gamer who demands every last ounce of performance, but technically speaking it's not quite up to m-audio's offerings.

I think it still sounds fine though, except for the headphone mode. Maybe they fixed it with the latest audigy 2 that came out a short while ago.

uhmn, in either case - what should I do ? Choose anoter mode than headphones ?

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Randu
I beg to differ

First question- .....and what would you say is better for the money ($300 total)?
Second question- have you listened to the 590s with the Equinox ?

I was skeptical also, $150 for a replacement cable on a brand new set of cans!?!?
But that was before I actually listened and compared.

The HD590s are very, very nice. The stock cord (doesn't quite earn the term "cable") leaves one wanting for fullness in the bass dept and richness in the upper mids, but the Equinox deals with both quite handily. Well worth their weight.
I find them excellent for a wide range of musical styles. They have been described as forward in the mids, I guess I like it that way. They are highly detailed across the board. If it's in there, you'll hear it! The easily driven handle seems a bit of a curse with these cans, yes it's true they are easily driven, but they do bloom very nicely with good amplification. (they match up quite well with tubed amps)
If you want laid back, get the 600s, these 590's are for the more "active" listener.

Randu

PS: I can't imagine a more comfortable set of headphones

Hmm.. I guess that's true, there's really no headphone available directly at the $300 mark that I'm looking into. However, at $300, that puts me $50 to $80 away from just grabbing an used for a new CD3000. I would much rather have gotten the CD3000 instead when it comes down to it.

On top of that, if I really, really wanted an active and rich presentation, I still prefer the A900 over the HD590 in that regard. HD590 is still a Sennheiser sound with a forward presentation... Which still makes it more laid back than the A900 or the CD3000.

It's all okay if that's your preferred taste... but at $300 it just seem hardly worth it anymore.. kick in a couple more dollar here and there, you move up into the next class of headphones. Even getting a HD650 or something at that point seems more reasonable (even without the Cardas cable).

If I had some money lying around though, I would probably get the cable just for the hell of it, so I know I have a fully decked out HD590.

Nov 28, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
Hmm.. I guess that's true, there's really no headphone available directly at the $300 mark that I'm looking into. However, at $300, that puts me $50 to $80 away from just grabbing an used for a new CD3000. I would much rather have gotten the CD3000 instead when it comes down to it.

On top of that, if I really, really wanted an active and rich presentation, I still prefer the A900 over the HD590 in that regard. HD590 is still a Sennheiser sound with a forward presentation... Which still makes it more laid back than the A900 or the CD3000.

It's all okay if that's your preferred taste... but at $300 it just seem hardly worth it anymore.. kick in a couple more dollar here and there, you move up into the next class of headphones. Even getting a HD650 or something at that point seems more reasonable (even without the Cardas cable).

If I had some money lying around though, I would probably get the cable just for the hell of it, so I know I have a fully decked out HD590.

I can't argue with you about the Sony as I have not had the opportunity to give them a test drive.

Nor have I had a session with the ATH A900, but I did get a chance to spend some time with a pair of 2002 woodies. I remember them being really nice, but they didn't leave me lusting after them when comparing side by side to the 590s.

Let me know if you travel southward, I would love to compare the 3 sometime.

Nov 28, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #28 of 28
The Audigy sounds fine when not in headphone mode. If you don't mind switching to headphone mode when playing games, then stick with the audigy. I don't think sound quality is the most important factor when playing a game, and you get used to the tubbiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back