a package? let's see what's inside....
Nov 10, 2005 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ayt999

Headphoneus Supremus
so I got this cardboard box in the mail today.
PICT0050.JPG

why, look at that, another box. (this one seems nicer than the outer one.
wink.gif
)
PICT00511.JPG

what could be inside such a box?
PICT0052.JPG

wait a minute, I didn't know PS1's came in wooden boxes?
confused.gif
all recabled too.
PICT0053.JPG

hey, give the box back to the RS1. now, that's better. wood galore.
biggrin.gif

PICT0054.JPG

glued-on bowls and it seems that it has a red-colored driver.
PICT0058.JPG

looking good in its case.
PICT0056.JPG

nice headband... the PS1 seems to have dieted too much in comparison. you can clearly see its skeletal shape through the skin.
PICT0060.JPG

Nov 10, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
glued-on bowls

The pads are glued on? Why??

BTW, nice boxes!

Nov 10, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 29
They look so much better than the actual ones...

Congratulations Alex!
rs1smile.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 29
when I tried a pair last year I didn't like them too much, but these don't seem too bad. but then that's probably due to the huge joe grado ultrawide bandwidth cable that were attached to each driver from the balanced recable. they made the headphone so heavy and I was easily distracted by that.
tongue.gif
(gpalmer doesn't seem to mind too much though.
wink.gif
)

Nov 10, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by magid
My RS-1s have a black leather headband unlike your brown one and my drivers aren't red. Whats the deal? Also, are all bowls glued onto the RS-1s when new?

these are much older grado RS1's than the current ones. the model has been through several changes over the years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
The pads are glued on? Why??

to prevent me from putting flat pads on them?
tongue.gif

I don't know about the current ones, but I have read that older RS1's had pads that were glued onto the driver housing so it wasn't totally unexpected. at least this way I know that the pads are the originals for sure.

Nov 10, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
when I tried a pair last year I didn't like them too much, but these don't seem too bad. but then that's probably due to the huge joe grado ultrawide bandwidth cable that were attached to each driver from the balanced recable. they made the headphone so heavy and I was easily distracted by that.
tongue.gif
(gpalmer doesn't seem to mind too much though.
wink.gif
)

Come on, you know you're going to break down and do a balanced recable on them too so you can hear what they sound like with the SDS-XLR (and not just using one of your little adaptors either)!!!

Those are really cool looking and I think they should stay pristine and vintage. Don't mess with beauty!
rs1smile.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Come on, you know you're going to break down and do a balanced recable on them too so you can hear what they sound like with the SDS-XLR (and not just using one of your little adaptors either)!!!

Those are really cool looking and I think they should stay pristine and vintage. Don't mess with beauty!
rs1smile.gif

two completely opposite remarks, are you trying to confuse me?
biggrin.gif

putting an adaptor wouldn't make it run balanced since you need separate leads for the positive and negative signals going to each driver separately. but with the glued-on pads and I assume drivers that are also fixed by glue to the wood housing I doubt I would want to attempt that. like you say, it should stay pristine and vintage.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 29
They might be opposite, but that's because I was assuming you couldn't resist the temptation to muck around in those cans. I know it isn't really balanced when you use those adaptors of yours, but you do have one that goes from 1/4 to XLRs don't you? I was just suggesting that using that would not satisfy your lust for balanced sound. Personally, I hope you keep them in their natural state for posterity's sake.

BTW, have you noticed how many people who were at our mini-maxi-meet have advertised the need to acquire balanced rigs, even at the cost of all their other gear? SinglePowerful stuff.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back