A note of caution
Mar 15, 2010 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Ear Damage

100+ Head-Fier
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU ASK/READ SUGGESTIONS OR OPINIONS ON THIS FORUM AS MANY SEEM TO BE BASED ON

"I'VE READ SOMEWHERE..."
"THEY LOOK LIKE..."
"I CAN IMAGINE..."
"MY MOTHER SAYS..."

I'd rather stab myself in the eardrums than give my opinions on headphones I have absolutely no experience with.

First hand experience is what counts, REMEMBER THAT!

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 42
This needs to be made sticky
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 42
Hoorah. It will still happen though.

People forget that audio is bloody subjective so if Bob thinks they sound a bit bright, James could think they aren't while Simon thinks they are ear damaging. Christen thinks the bass is tight and punchy while DJ SlaM is shocked by the lack of bass. Jessica can't get over the fit issue and give it a fail. Tom, a violist, has negative comments on the tonality. Theo says the sound stage is bang on perfect while Billy says it is too big and unnatural. Neil thinks it's only worth xxx and yyy is a stupid price but Peter says the cost doesn't matter if the sound is good. Duncan comments that the stock cable is crap and everyone should recable them but Lisa thinks the recable didn't improve the sound.

If the people who all own the headphone can't agree on certain things, why do you think you have a good enough understanding of it, to be able to give out a verdict/recommendation?

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU ASK/READ SUGGESTIONS OR OPINIONS ON THIS FORUM AS MANY SEEM TO BE BASED ON

"I'VE READ SOMEWHERE..."
"THEY LOOK LIKE..."
"I CAN IMAGINE..."
"MY MOTHER SAYS..."

I'd rather stab myself in the eardrums than give my opinions on headphones I have absolutely no experience with.

First hand experience is what counts, REMEMBER THAT!

Yet you write this:

"More than likely it will sound worse than their bigger brother, the A40"
in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...eadset-477825/
Shall we add, " More than likely" onto your list?
wink_face.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 42
a note of caution, caps are generally frowned upon and they come across as hysterical and childish.

secondly this is just a hobby and people have to rely on the experience of others, there is no such a thing as one man hobby, its a collective thing.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 42
Can I ask what prompted this outburst?

I mean... I agree, reviews and opinions are generally more valuable from people who have actual experience with the equipment that they are reviewing or about which they are opining. But I don't know that I'd start a thread about it without a pretty significant trigger event.

Peace.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 42
I think people are able to give helpful insight and information from things they've learned on this forum. Whether or not they've personally heard the headphone in question doesn't mean they can't be helpful in saying X headphone will have more bass than Y, when Y is widely known to be a bass light headphone. In the end it's still up to the guy asking for help to take information from those who say they haven't heard the headphone with a grain of salt.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hoorah. It will still happen though.

People forget that audio is bloody subjective so if Bob thinks they sound a bit bright, James could think they aren't while Simon thinks they are ear damaging. Christen thinks the bass is tight and punchy while DJ SlaM is shocked by the lack of bass. Jessica can't get over the fit issue and give it a fail. Tom, a violist, has negative comments on the tonality. Theo says the sound stage is bang on perfect while Billy says it is too big and unnatural. Neil thinks it's only worth xxx and yyy is a stupid price but Peter says the cost doesn't matter if the sound is good. Duncan comments that the stock cable is crap and everyone should recable them but Lisa thinks the recable didn't improve the sound.

If the people who all own the headphone can't agree on certain things, why do you think you have a good enough understanding of it, to be able to give out a verdict/recommendation?

This is why I weigh certain people's opinions differently than others. Some have a different preference than mine. Others are more similar to what I like. Either way I learn from both. I just try to intepret their meanings to what I need.

Peace

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 42
I see nothing wrong with posting about a pair of headphones one has never heard (since I do it all the time
biggrin.gif
). No, I don't like making risky comparisons between two headphones if I haven't heard them. No, I'm not comfortable describing exactly what a headphone will sound like if I've never heard it. If I'm not comfortable with it then I either won't post it or preface it heavily with "General consensus seems to be" or similar.

Most of my never-heard recommendations use words describing the general sound of the headphone, or its widely regarded applications. I recommend AD700 for gaming even though I've never heard it because it's almost unanimously considered a good gaming headphone. I recommend Denons for those who want big bass and closed because, surprise, they're closed and widely regarded as bassy. The only headphones I describe with any real detail are Grados, because I've heard one and because their house sound is distinct enough that if you've heard one you've heard most of them less the more refined sound and the uniques of the line (325is, HF-1/2, GS/PS1000).

And as good a point as the OP is, and as much as I think the forum should subscribe to it, any time there's a new thread posted out of the blue that takes a well-known phenomenon and violently attacks it just rubs me as pretentious. I'm sure it's not meant to be. That's just the reaction I have upon first read, always and "I CAN IMAGINE" forever.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perfect example

I don't get you, Ear Damage.
You started a thread all about how people shouldn't state their opinions unless they have solid personal experience with that exact product.
You even write:

'I'd rather stab myself in the eardrums than give my opinions on headphones I have absolutely no experience with. '

Yet a few hours later you start another thread stating this when referring to the A30:

'More than likely it will sound worse than their bigger brother, the A40'

Sounds to me like you haven't heard them...yet make an assumption about how they sound.

Personally it doesn't bug me if a person makes an opinion with no direct experience, but but makes that opinion based on information he has researched, so long as he makes a small disclaimer stating such. For example: From what I have read... etc.

But you contradict yourself in your first thread by what you write in your second. That's what I find amusing.
Colour me reactionary, but isn't this the pot calling the kettle black?
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back