a noob question... for sure
Jan 19, 2009 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

robbyvegas

New Head-Fier
Ok. I have the Westone UM2 and an iPod Classic. I am wondering what I need.

Specifically, I'm wondering about whether I need DAC or AMP or both, and then what format I should rip my CD collection in to listen to it in optimum quality on my iPod. With 160 GB I'm not concerned with the amount of space that a given file will take up (at least I don't think I need to be. Let me know if I'm wrong). Do I need an amp or DAC with the ipod, or my laptop? Does it matter? What kind of format is the iPod able to handle? I'm an electrical engineer, so I know that the hardware/software can create a bottle neck such that it wouldn't matter what extra hardware I get, or how good quality the files are.

Then I want to know where to go to find music in such quality. Do I need to buy CD's or can I download it from somewhere. I've noticed that I'm not a fan of downloaded music on iTunes.

Next, what are you guys using to manage your music? iTunes, media monkey, etc? I am getting more and more into this and want to make sure that I do it right.

Is that enough noob questions? Answer what you can/feel like. I appreciate the help.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 3
If you are planning to use your Ipod as the portable player and the UM2 as the headphone, you will only need an amplifier. There's no need for a DAC unless you are using a laptop as your player, then you will need both.

Don't worry about 160 not being enough, I also have a 160 GB classic and I have about 20 something albums ripped into it and I still have about 90 GB left.

For uploading songs into the ipod, I used "sharepod", it's a much simpler program than itunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back