A Nice USB DAC + Amp Combo for Ultrasone?
Mar 23, 2008 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sine

100+ Head-Fier
A few months ago when I got my ProLINEs, I got an E-MU 0202 USB and thought that would be enough. The amp turned out to be too weak to drive my new cans, so I added a cheap Go-Vibe which makes the whole setup sing! I really love it.
smily_headphones1.gif

What I don't love is this:

large.jpg

Because my interconnect isn't quite long enough, I have to prop the Go-Vibe up against the E-MU to make everything work. What a mess! It looks pretty patched together, and the angle makes it awkward to change the volume or plug/unplug my headphones.

I'm looking for a combination USB DAC/Amp that would sound as good or better for about $200. It doesn't have to be portable, but it does have to work with Mac and Windows. Hell, I wouldn't even mind having two separate boxes so long as it's marginally swankier than what I have now.
biggrin.gif

As always, any suggestions are appreciated and thanks in advance for your help.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso D2 - with 300 hours of burn in is as good or better than my iBasso D1 via USB, and cheaper to boot! It's in you price range and tested on my Mac already.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into that. Out of interest, which headphone(s) are you primarily using it with?

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 12
since u like the govibe...

why not the govibe petite DAC+amp?

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I'll definitely look into that. Out of interest, which headphone(s) are you primarily using it with?

Livewires customs, ALOAudio modified HFI-780, Edition 9, and RS-1.

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch.
D2-Viper is sold out

On a side note, this means the resale value of mine has probably increased
biggrin.gif

If only I had a functional one with no issues
rolleyes.gif
The only reason I got one was because my first choice, the Go-Vibe Petite was sold out for a month. Well, happily I'm due to receive a brand new Petite this week. I have a hunch it will suit my tastes and cans much better than the D2. Appears much more solid build-wise, too.

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks, everyone for your advice! I decided to go with the popular vote and pick up a D2. It indeed is out of stock, but I found one on the Buy & Sell forums here. It looks good too IMO; I can't wait to hear it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Livewires customs, ALOAudio modified HFI-780, Edition 9, and RS-1.

Excellent! Good to know you liked them with your Ultrasones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftoned
Why not just get a longer interconnect? Problem solved..?

I thought about that, but getting a new source is much more satisfying. Plus, with the kind of space I have, 1 box > 2 Boxes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie1
I have the BENCHMARK DAC1 USB to RSA RAPTOR to JENA CRYO cabled EDITION 9s and love that combo. It doesn't get much better than that IMHO.

It also doesn't get much more expensive than that! I envy you, but it's a little over my budget. Maybe I just need to spend more time on Head-fi.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back