A nice PCDP for old timers and new timers to be on the lookout for Sony D-421SP
Aug 11, 2011 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I can't help myself when I spy a vintage PCDP in mint shape at a thrift shop, even though I scarely use them anymore. But I saw this Sony D-412SP (sports model) laying on a shelf of junk and grabbed it for $4. I must say, I love this player. It was made in 1993 and, man, talk about powerful output. This thing makes the D777 seem a little wimpy. It has headphone and line out (which I wasn't expecting) and whats really impressive is that it's DEAD QUIET. Even at full volume (which I wouldnt dare listen to) this player doesnt produce any hiss at all. The sound -- well compared to today portables it's extremely MELLOW. Very full bass and midrange with rolled off treble - but still nice detail. For me, just what the doctor ordered. Usually I pick these things up not expecting or getting much, but if you want a warm sounding portable, this is a great one to look for. Built like a rock, runs on AA or rechargeble AAs (and they can be charged within the unit.) Downside, the ESP is a little weak, so its not a jogger at all (who jogs with CDs anymore) and the DSP bass boost is odd. It boosts REALLY LOW frequences and seems to drop a bit the bass you'd normally hear. It must be a bass boost for cars with earthquaking subwoofers! Anyway, this is a really nice player. Powerful and smooth with a subdued treble. I think the roll off is even a little too much for Px100 or portapros, but this is probably a match made in heaven if you're finding your Grados too edgy.  This is a great old portable that I'd never even heard of! I don't think its up there with a D777 in terms of detail, but I'm enjoying it to listen to music on much more than the vaunted CD-3400 Radio Shack PCDP.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 4
PCDP rocks.

By the way, D421sp is the same as D321 except D421 is sport version outlook.

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 4
I didn't know it was the same as the D321. Thanks for the info. It's a nice player to listen to. They go for a song on ebay, too. Less than $20 shipped. A great deal, IMO.

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 4
I remember the yellow sony sport cd players. I had one and i paid well over 100 dollars for it. The ESP on it worked really well though not like you are saying. It gave atleast a full 10-15 seconds of buffer but it also sucked the battery down a lot more. Yeah I remember battery life being really poor on these things.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SONY-D-211-DISCMAN-PORTABLE-CD-PLAYER-RARE-/120726381814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1bda64f6

Wow a sony discman PCDP that hes trying to sell for 1000 dollars!!!!!!!!!

Is it really good enough to warrant 1000 dollars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back