A newborn needing answers...
Jan 23, 2008 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jdogg

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone:

I'm new to this forum and the hobby. Just ordered a pair of HD600's. Anyway, can you connect a headphone amp from the headphone jack of a receiver and then headphones to the headphone amp or do I have to plug the headphone amp to a "Pre-Amp" output? Also, is it OK to connect 2 headphone amps in succession (connect 1 amp to the other thru the headphone jack output/input)?

The reason I ask is that I play games on a 360 and PS3 and want to use Dolby Headphone technology and the only way to get it is with the Astro A40 Mix-Amp, which is a headphone amp with DH technology, a receiver with DH technology or the JVC SU-DH1 device. I don't want to use the JVC device because it sucks batteries dry too fast. I'm pretty sure that the A40 Mix-Amp is not sufficient enough to drive the HD600 so I wanted to connect a better amp to it.

I apologize for the freshman questions and thanks for your help.
redface.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 3
This is a question that comes up frequently. The short answer is that you shouldn't connect your dedicated headphone amp to the headphone out of your source. The reason being that you would effectively be amping the signal twice and that introduces twice as much noice and distortion and negates the purpose of buying a dedicated headphone amp in the first place (which is to amp a signal with as little noise and distortion as possible).

Connecting the headphone amp to the pre-amp out is almost just as bad as connecting it to the headphone out, so don't do it if you can help it.

So. What SHOULD you connect the headphone amp to, you ask? You should connect the headphone amp to the Line-Out from your source, that way you'll be feeding your beloved amp the cleanest possible signal.

There's most likely a line out from a receiver.

-DoA

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks DOA. That helps. I was beginning to think no one was going to answer because my question was too stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back