A newb seeks advice on Alessandro MS-1, Fiio E5 & JVC HA-RX 700
Jul 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

yimrsg

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
just starting out so on becoming an audiophile and was seeking some advice and knowledge. I listen to a fairly broad range of music; classical, wu-tang clan, metallica, the doors, girl talk, velvet underground, chemical brothers, pink floyd, sonic youth etc.

My source is a ipod classic 120gb mostly but sometimes my laptop. I have Shure se110's which have the best sound i've experienced. Although in an apple store I came close after listening to bose around ear headphones, but upon researching their build quality put me off.

Build quality is important to me as I have bad luck when it comes to head / earphones, pretty much every pair (bar se110) has broken on me, 5 pairs of Skullcandy (never again), 2 apple ipod pairs, plenty cheap Sennheiser and Sony earbuds have met their maker at my unwitting hand.
frown.gif

Basically my next purchase(s) will probably be from an Alessandro MS-1, a Fiio E5 and a JVC HA-RX700. I'll be using the headphones at home. As a personal preference I like to hear as much as I can from the song.

The JVC HA-RX700 seem like a good re-entry point FWIR into full size cans. I've had skullcandy GI's before and thought the sound was ok-ish from my ipod. Would I need / notice the E5 with the JVC or with my se110s when used with my ipod?

Finally a few regarding the MS-1, is there a tax duty to be paid when shipping to the UK? Or can I get away with paying only $109.99? I was going to ask them directly but figured that there might be buyers over here who know first hand.

I was looking at the koss portapro or the igrado but felt that the high praise of the MS-1 looked better value for money. Plus the potential for modding it in the future. My only concern is regarding the build quality and my innate ability to break headphones. Has anyone got any suggestions for an alternative or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Many thanks for reading this and all opinions welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back