A new take on an old discussion
Apr 20, 2015 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Windquest

New Head-Fier
The short version of this post is to get an up to date point of view on some older classics still for sale compared to some of the new offerings.  But before I ask anything specific, I will qualify my listening requirements.

First of all, we are talking about old ears! 67, retired, living full time in an RV and still wanting the best sound possible.  Music: classical, classic folk (banjo, mandolin, guitar), new age (electronic).  I am not a basshead, I like realistic base, clean mid and great highs. (the banjo has to have punch!) That profile might be considered a V curve.

Currently I have Westone W40's which I like, but I know there is more.....one question I have to myself is whether my 67 YO ears will appreciate the quality of $1K+ ciem's.  I hope so.  Now to the meat of the post........

Not so long ago the JH13 and later the JH16 were the best of the best and the fact they are still being sold says a lot about their overall quality.  It might even suggest that any further improvement will be very subtle at best. They are high on my list.  Then there are Noble's K10, a jump in price and to many the best of the best now.  What we don't see is something like the JH16 compared to the K10.

Since I no longer have the room for a proper speaker system, I want to try and create a high end speaker system in a ciem.  I don't want reference monitors anymore, just a great listening experience.  You see my two finalists, so what do you think?  Did I miss something?  I have no chance to audition either of them or any for that matter and being retired, I can't start a collection...this purchase needs to be right.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Henry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back