A new start with the O2
Nov 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

gates_2

500+ Head-Fier
Given the drama in the other thread I thought it appropriate to start a new thread regarding this amp.

I built up two of these this past weekend.

I must say I'm quite impressed with the overall performance, especially considering the price. I've built several high end amps including a 3 channel B-22 and a First Watt F2 Clone, among others. I've never heard an amp sound this good at the price point. That being said, I think my ears prefer a more colored, midrange-forward presentation offered by other amps, such as my SOHA. I'm going to drill up the front panels in a day or so and then be offering one for sale.

The sad fact about DIY audio is that rarely can you sell these amplifiers for anywhere near the cost of parts, with this amp being an exception. People seem willing to spend big bucks on "commercial" amps, without objective backing, but shy away from DIY Amps with solid designs. Makes me wonder if Ti Kan would have made much more money selling the B22 as a proprietary amp for $2000 a pop.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 32
Thanks for the feedback, @gates_2, especially given your perspective on an amp that is still spoken about in hushed tones on HF. This is my first foray into DiY amps, albeit the Epiphany Audio 'turnkey' version, and I am quite happy to pay the 'extra' to have someone build mine. Would I have been so keen if it had been priced at, say, 200GBP ? Probably not, as I also agree with you re the attraction of amps with some coloration. Neutrality is for those Shelbyville audiophiles. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 32
I finally got a new LOD for my iPhone and have been running it through my O2 and my K500, and I must say the driving potential is fantastic indeed. Aside from my Cmoy, this is the only other amp, and I'm happy to see it drive, at least from other claims, "a picky headphone."

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 32
while i understand the thought, do we really need another O2 thread? what makes you think it will turn out any different? ie. not just another venue for argument? oh..i mean....erm... discourse....yeah discourse 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 32
There have been two O2 threads in the DIY forum. The first got locked for reasons known only to the admin, whilst the second was somewhat derailed by the OP expressing his opinion that the O2 was a load of crap measured with a scope NwAvGuy bought in a flea market.
I don't think this means that rational discussion of the O2 is impossible and hence support the introduction of a thread where the first thread can efffectively be continued.

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 32
I am a new convert, actually a returning convert back to DIY electronics and audio and would be interested in doing an O2 build for my next project. (My recent SSMH is stuck at present, reasons unknown). My concern with the O2 is the difficulty of getting a PCB. I am fairly confident I could produce a simple PCB using the heat transfer method with laser printer but the board for this amp looks to be out of range for this technique. Group buys I see have been very successful for this amp and I can only say well done to the folks who have taken on the task of organising them but how likely is this to continue? I noticed with the eXstata build that without someone willing to undertake the organisation of a group buy the enterprise eventually fizzled out.

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
There have been two O2 threads in the DIY forum. The first got locked for reasons known only to the admin, whilst the second was somewhat derailed by the OP expressing his opinion that the O2 was a load of crap measured with a scope NwAvGuy bought in a flea market.
I don't think this means that rational discussion of the O2 is impossible and hence support the introduction of a thread where the first thread can efffectively be continued.

yes, but there is also about 3 review threads and besides although its a nice idea, i doubt very much it will go down that way there are 2 camps that collide here

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 32

Quote:
yes, but there is also about 3 review threads and besides although its a nice idea, i doubt very much it will go down that way there are 2 camps that collide here

Perhaps there should be a least 2 threads... one to discuss engineering, another for "appreciation" (or the lack thereof)

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 32
Nothing needs 2 threads, let alone 3. Although I like the exposure the O2 has, I think it's excessive. Of course, we all know the closed O2 thread won't come back so we might as well replace it with this one.

Anyone else using the O2 as their first DIY project?

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 32
Does anyone sell O2 DIY kits? I want something to build but hate sourcing a BOM. You end up having to order from multiple vendors, often using fillers to meet the minimum order. Does anyone make cases with drilled fronts for the o2 that I can buy? I don't want to pay to have some custom ones made, especially since they probably require, again, minimum orders.

Edit: I found some of my own answers. JDSLabs has the boards, volume knob, case, and front panel. What about the rest of the BOM? Anyone have a package?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back