A new soundcard only to be used for optical out
Sep 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Svirre

Head-Fier
I have for a long period of time used the optical toslink my integrated soundcard to connect my PC to my Benchmark DAC1 that I use as a source for both my stereo and headphone setup. From time to time I experience a decrease in quality, almost as the music is downgraded to 64 kbps mp3-files. All I have to do is restart the program and the problem is gone, so this is probably just a software issue. But I do hear some distortion, from time to time, so just for my peace of mind I want a dedicated soundcard.

What would you guys recommend? As I mentioned I only need the optical out.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 14
Sep 24, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 14
They did seem small and handy, but I would preferre something with a toslink output so I wouldn't have to use adapters. The price of those cards almost seemed too cheap, but I guess as long as I only need a digital output it doesn't really matter?

I was thinking of something in the lines of the Onkyo SE-90PCI, but that might be overkill since I only really need the digital output?

In terms of setup, how should I configure Vista for a bitperfect output? I use MediaMonkey as my audio player.

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 14
Svirre, I don't know much about mediamonkey, but I use itunes with multiplugin set to use the foobar bypass and set up wasapi in foobar to get bit-perfect through my optical. This essentially gives me the itune foreground, which is easy to use and allows for playlists to be created and ipod management, with the foobar playback engine, running the alac codec. Wasapi is very easy to set up for optical, simply select it as your playback device in foobar and right click on the speaker icon in the lower right hand corner of your desktop and select a different device as default, turn off all system sounds, turn up the volume in foobar to 100% and shizzam the universe works its magic and you get bit-perfect playback with a hardware potentiometer all in an easy to use skin.

Cheers,
Dave

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 14
So the sound isn't going untouched out through my soundcard in Vista? I thought they had resolved the sound issues they had with XP with Vista, but I guess not?

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 14
Svirre,

Microsoft did in fact build a new sound architecture, but they are still using a mixer, its just not on the kernel level anymore. They need to employ a mixer if your computer is playing different sounds at once.

Dave

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 14
Ok, but the sound isn't being resampled like it was in XP, right? Anyway, I'll check out wasapi and see if it's possible to use a similar setup with MediaMonkey. Is there any alternatives if wasapi is not compatible with my current setup?

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for all the replys!

I really didn't think I had to do that much with the sound in Vista, but I guess I was mistaken. It seems that ASIO4ALL is compatible with MediaMonkey, so I'll have to give that a try. Who knows, maybe that will cure the issues I'm having with the sound so I don't have to buy a soundcard.

Sep 25, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 14
Aren't both supposed to be bitperfect? If so, how can there be a difference?

Anyway, I gave WASAPI and foobar2000 a try. Is it really as easy as it seems? I downloaded the WASAPI .dll and put it in Foobars component folder, and then chose WASAPI as the output source throug s/pdif. And then everything just worked... With MediaMonkey I had tons of documentation and tweaking in the walkthough, and it didn't even work! Setting up WASAPI took me about a minute. Everything is seemingly working and sounding great, but I just can't come around how easy it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back