A new soundcard for music/games
Mar 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Millsie

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just got my scholarship and incidentally I need a new sound card.. =DD Funny that.
I'm currently running off my inbuilt Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R sound...
I also have beyerdynamics DTX800 for headphones..

So a sound card around 100-200nz should be goodish I've never owned a sound card before so hopefully its good. xD

Thanks

Oh and apparently they're selling refurbished cards at
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/refurbished.php
are these any good?

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 18
Yes the Auzentech cards are some of the best soundcards you can buy right now.
What type of features are you looking for?
Do you want the best support possible for games?
Do you need a headphones amplifer?
Do you want PCI or PCI-E?

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 18
Um, well I play a lot of games so I would like good game support but then most of the time I play music over the actual game sounds so I'm not sure aye..

I haven't got a headphone amplifier.
I have 3 x PCI Express x1 slot and 3 x PCI slots..

So ya suggestions would be great.. I've already got a few like
ASUS Xonar DX
Asus Essence STX

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm using the Auzentech Forte 7.1 and have been quite happy with it playing games and music. Only problem I've had so far is that my install of Windows 7 x64 doesn't like trying to use the digital out. I've been using an early beta of 7 (formatting to 7 ultimate x64 retail this weekend) so we'll see if the format changes things.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 18
Its so hard to pick a good sound card..

Like there's lots of good reviews but then there is an equal amount of **** reviews..

For example the ASUS Xonar DX they're lots of good review but there's just a few that make me worry.. Haha

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 18
The Forte is a good gaming card. The DX is a good budget card but limited in it's gaming support. The new Bravura is also pretty sweet for gaming and overall sound quality.

You can wait and see how the new Titanium HD turns out also which should be Creatives new flagship gaming card.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 18
Auzentech makes the Bravura and Creative Labs makes the Titanium HD

You can buy the Forte as a refurb model though..if your after that model.
Forte is great for music and so is the Bravura, the Titanium HD has not been released yet. The Bravura 7.1 is still rather new only being released a little while ago.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 18
But wouldn't the refurbished models be half ****ed?

I really wouldn't mind hearing from people that actually got refurbished models to see if theirs worked correctly.. Cause I really wouldn't mind the prelude since its $330nz normally and $135 refurbished.. =D

Other than that the forte really sounds like a good choice...

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 18
Not really, they are looked over by the technicians, everything is cleaned and they are given new warranties. I mentioned it because they are cheaper, buy a new one if you prefer. Prelude is a great card...

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 18
Just on the off chance someone was interested in knowing, I have finished formatting and reinstalling drivers etc. The digital out works, but encoding to DDL and DTS Connect does not. Not a massive issue since I don't have any receivers that can take those formats. This same problem appears to be common.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliphcient /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just on the off chance someone was interested in knowing, I have finished formatting and reinstalling drivers etc. The digital out works, but encoding to DDL and DTS Connect does not. Not a massive issue since I don't have any receivers that can take those formats. This same problem appears to be common.

Did you ever try the 32bit drivers?

I wonder if they would be better..

But then again I am just expecting it to run my speakers and headphones really well so I should be good
o2smile.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 18
Well if you're looking for total game support then you're going to have to go with an X-fi card. I bought a used Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1 from someone here a few months ago but have experiemented with several cards since. Finally settled with a Xonar D2 (used but working as good as new) and an external DAC for serious music and I'm happy. (anyone looking for some used cards?
biggrin.gif
)

Anyhow (like someone else said) I don't think you'd should concern youself with those Auzentech cards being refurbished. It's possible most where either returns or had defects that were fixed. There aren't any moving parts on these things to wear out, etc. that you should be worried bout

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #15 of 18
Wooahh nice! What made you settle for the D2?

I'm pretty much a heavy gamer and a heavy music listener So I dunno... What was wrong with the Prelude that you got?

But unfortunately I only have about 200NZ to spend soo yeah most good cards are out of my reach ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back