A new reference from AKG?
Feb 4, 2012 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 137

mikiphile

100+ Head-Fier
Dear all, this being my first thread, I would like to ask a question regarding my favourite brand AKG. I am not sure if something similar has been discussed recently, since I was unable to find anything like it.

I know that most of the attention on this forum is towards Grados, Sennheisers and Beyers, however, I am curious about this one.

Given that AKG launched the K701, its last reference headphone round 2006 (not considering their mumble jumble K550 and their K3003 IEMs), with some mods in K702 and Q701, is there any reason to expect an "all new reference over the ear dynamic headphone" from them any time soon?

Despite their rather commercial moves, I do suspect a serious attack on the audiophile market soon from AKG.

Different opinions or existing facts are welcome :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 137
IMHO, the last decent AKG-phones were the K501 (the K242HD which is a rehash of the K240s is fine too). The K601 and K/Q70X Series are Harman phones. (haters gonna hate)

Due to apple and their iDevices there still is the trend for portable phones, which... all things considered have to look good and have decent marketing and a selling celebrity. SQ is the last thing to consider if you plan to sell these phones to the masses of iZombies.
And Harman knows how to milk their customers... I don't expect them to ever produce any decent HiFi and MidFi cans from now on.

The K3003 seems to be decent but overpriced compared to better custom IEMs.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 137

Quote:
IMHO, the last decent AKG-phones were the K501 (the K242HD which is a rehash of the K240s is fine too). The K601 and K/Q70X Series are Harman phones. (haters gonna hate)

Due to apple and their iDevices there still is the trend for portable phones, which... all things considered have to look good and have decent marketing and a selling celebrity. SQ is the last thing to consider if you plan to sell these phones to the masses of iZombies.
And Harman knows how to milk their customers... I don't expect them to ever produce any decent HiFi and MidFi cans from now on.

The K3003 seems to be decent but overpriced compared to better custom IEMs.

I guess since we all share the same fears, we shall all share the terrible fate of living in a world where everything is just a work of marketing, rather than a work of art. 

This makes me feel more and more miserable everyday.

I am SICK of the iCulture, but "history is written by the victor" (if you play MW2 :) ), and soon everything which is good will be forgotten as it has never existed.

However, Head-fi and us, the audiophiles (the eccentric) will not go down without a fight :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 137
Let me tell you something. The K3003 are a purely commercial product, but that doesn't mean they are not good. AKG is now a brand of Harman, which is a commercial audio manufacturer. This company messed up other brands as well, such as JBL.

Now, I have a JBL TL 260 which is an AMAZING speaker. A 5 driver monster, which costs 3000 euros. If driven properly, it will boggle the mind of most audiophiles, some even dared to call it high end (its certainly far from that tough). This "harman" product, which is also commercial, turns out to be quite good and not just a piece of marketing.

My point in this matter is that some reference products which are made by "commercial" manufacturers tend to be out of better value than their lower series. The same goes for AKG K/Q 701/702. These headphones have an excellent sonic performance, and they are fairly inexpensive compared to other similar line models from other brands, which means that the are still worth something, despite getting commercialized.

However, Harman's strategy to turn established audio brands such as: AKG and JBL into commercial iProduct bullcrap makers is apparent and quite sad.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 137

Quote:

I guess since we all share the same fears, we shall all share the terrible fate of living in a world where everything is just a work of marketing, rather than a work of art. 

This makes me feel more and more miserable everyday.

I am SICK of the iCulture, but "history is written by the victor" (if you play MW2 :) ), and soon everything which is good will be forgotten as it has never existed.

However, Head-fi and us, the audiophiles (the eccentric) will not go down without a fight :)

Sad but true - AKG is owned by Harmon Kardon, they have no interest what so ever in pursuing excellence and
 advancing audio technology, rather their shabby marketing department attempts to promote random celebrity
 association - production is moving from Austria to China, international distribution and communication is breaking
 down. Hate to be a bearer of bad news but AKG under it's current ownership does not have much time left for
 this world.

Once a great brand, I still think my K601 is a wonderful headphone for the money but I see no sense in remaining
 optimistic for the brand's original proud value of innovation and risk taking.

It's not like the masses will miss it in between reality TV shows and the latest KFC hormone chicken super bundle.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 137
Key word is "were." It all went downhill once the K1000 was discontinued. AKG used to be so awesome; I managed to find what I think is one of their most interesting products, the K4. I don't exactly understand what AKG wanted to do with it, but the K4 is comprised of a frame that's 2/3's the size of a Portapro with an electret driver for the treble and a dynamic driver for everything else. And it doesn't sound as terrible as one would assume. The housing really gimps the sound though.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 137

Quote:
They're not the same company at all.  It's pointless to even think of them as AKG. 

That's funny because they just released a headphone that's better than the K501, Sextett LP, K601 and K400. What more do you expect? Do you want them to re-release your precious K1000 and go bankrupt? I guess they're getting better, which is a plus. Of course I believed it to be all marketing BS at first. People around here tend to do this without knowing for sure. I have absolutely no doubt some of their releases are just done for marketing purposes. With the way the economy is, it makes sense why some companies need to do this. I'm actually more annoyed with Koss right now than AKG. Releasing a Tony Bennett headphone for $70 more just because of extras. Ugh..makes me sick.

Even the K550 does things that no other headphone has done quite as well. I'm not a fan of it's signature though, but it's soundstage is rather impressive for a closed headphone. Too bad it's overpriced. Please tell me the name of a closed headphone that has the soundstage of the K550. I sure the heck haven't heard one. Maybe it's the $650 W1000X.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 137
That's funny because they just released a headphone that's better than the K501, Sextett LP, K601 and K400. What more do you expect? Do you want them to re-release your precious K1000 and go bankrupt? I guess they're getting better, which is a plus. Of course I believed it to be all marketing BS at first. People around here tend to do this without knowing for sure. I have absolutely no doubt some of their releases are just done for marketing purposes. With the way the economy is, it makes sense why some companies need to do this. I'm actually more annoyed with Koss right now than AKG. Releasing a Tony Bennett headphone for $70 more just because of extras. Ugh..makes me sick.

Even the K550 does things that no other headphone has done quite as well. I'm not a fan of it's signature though, but it's soundstage is rather impressive for a closed headphone. Too bad it's overpriced. Please tell me the name of a closed headphone that has the soundstage of the K550. I sure the heck haven't heard one. Maybe it's the $650 W1000X.

lol,what? what headphone clearly have they released that betters the sextetts,DF's and k1000? the k701/702? i don't think so. from my experience they keep going backwards with their headphones the newer it is. like people said ''akg'' use to be good.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 137

Quote:

We're all still waiting for a locally delivered K550 down here - again, international Harmon Kardon distribution is pretty bad for the Southern hemisphere
 or Oz anyway. W1000X is very impressive in terms of separation and sound stage for a closed model, then again so is the W3000ANV and W5000.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 137

Quote:
Dear all, this being my first thread, I would like to ask a question regarding my favourite brand AKG. I am not sure if something similar has been discussed recently, since I was unable to find anything like it.

I know that most of the attention on this forum is towards Grados, Sennheisers and Beyers, however, I am curious about this one.

Given that AKG launched the K701, its last reference headphone round 2006 (not considering their mumble jumble K550 and their K3003 IEMs), with some mods in K702 and Q701, is there any reason to expect an "all new reference over the ear dynamic headphone" from them any time soon?

Despite their rather commercial moves, I do suspect a serious attack on the audiophile market soon from AKG.

Different opinions or existing facts are welcome :)

Believe me, there's lots of attention directed towards a lot of other brands as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back