A new player is entering the fray - iHiFi960 (with unboxing pictures)
Oct 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

HK_sends

Headphoneus Supremus

Here's something that's due to be released in a week or so....:

http://www.i-hifi.com/index.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IHIFI960-WM8740-16GB-Amplifier-Portable-HiFi-Music-Player-/261092799279?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2867083330506558016%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D261092799279%26

The 32GB versions will probably be offered later... Player has 16GB on-board with expansion via SD card (max 32 GB)

Thinking about pulling Pulled the trigger...  Will post my impressions when I get it.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

*UPDATE* 5 Nov 2012

It showed up today via FedEx (it took six days) in a box with foam padding.  The case was wrapped in bubble wrap

The name of the company is embossed on the case.  When you open it, you are presented with the player, A/C adapter, 1/8" to 1/4" adapter,
and documentation.

There is a trifold English manual that needs to have the translation fixed.  It conveys the info, but falls short in some areas.

Along with a Warranty card and contact number card in Chinese and an info brochure...

For accessories, you have to pry the block of foam the A/C adapter is in (it was a chore) and they are below...

I was worried how the 1/8" line out and COAX sockets could work with RCA plugs but fortunately an 1/8"-to-RCA adapter is included.
The instructions also inform you how to use the adapter for the COAX digital-out.  There's also a nice optical and USB cable.

The player itself was completely sealed in a plastic bag.  After opening it, I noticed it was covered with a light oil which easily wiped off.

I read some posts about dust under the display glass, rattling sounds (attributed to the control buttons), and mismatched/misaligned assembly.
However, the unit I received had none of those problems.  It's a solidly built little unit!

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so I will post my impressions of how it operates and sounds later and further along the thread.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 59
it seems too expensive for limited technology IMO

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 59
Granted, but seeing as it offers RCA and optical (digital) and analog line-out out plus 16GB vs 8GB on-board memory (with 32 GB on the way), I thought it might be worth a look.  If you look at the Little Dot DP_I (which I have), they are asking a similar price for less features and a very buggy UI.  The other players I have been watching (except the Fiio) appear be priced higher for similar features (albeit the Sabre DAC is a touch more expensive than the Wolfson).  I think this player will succeed or fail based on it's UI.

Just my humble opinion, but I am willing to give it a try.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - Another Player (not portable) that I am trying out right now is the DuGood HDAP-01.  I'll try to have a review up when I am comfortable I have checked out all its features.  Unfortunately, I will be very busy the next two weeks.

http://www.dugood.com/Engish/product1.files/HDAP-1.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUGOOD-HDAP-01-high-fidelity-digital-audio-file-player-/260822919584?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3cba41e9a0

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 59
Looking forward to your review mate. It even seems to have a TF card slot for expandable memory.

Sure looks good and the optical out seals the deal for me.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 59
ticks lots of boxes

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 59
The hardware specs on this sound good to me, but I always seem to be let down by some issue or another that a player has.  Lately, it's been the UI and lack of gapless playback.  Those will be the first things I look to evaluate.

Maybe the third time's the charm.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 59
Quote:
The hardware specs on this sound good to me, but I always seem to be let down by some issue or another that a player has.  Lately, it's been the UI and lack of gapless playback.  Those will be the first things I look to evaluate.

Maybe the third time's the charm.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Looks like the same UI and specs as the 812V2 that I currently own which does not support gapless playback.  http://bbs.erji.com/read.php?tid=1330819&page=e

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

Looks like the same UI and specs as the 812V2 that I currently own which does not support gapless playback.  http://bbs.erji.com/read.php?tid=1330819&page=e

Thanks for the info!  I may just convert my albums to a single flac file to get around that.  I usually listen to a whole album at a time anyway.  So I can probably live with (or work around) the lack of gapless, I just really can't understand what's so difficult about supporting it.

BTW, how do you like your 812V2?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 59
I think it sounds great for the price, better than my Sony NWZ-Z1060. Sometimes I pair it with my TYVJ slim which improves the listening experience more, but an external amp is not necessary IMHO. Here are a few pics I found showing size comparisons.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:
I think it sounds great for the price, better than my Sony NWZ-Z1060. Sometimes I pair it with my TYVJ slim which improves the listening experience more, but an external amp is not necessary IMHO. Here are a few pics I found showing size comparisons.

Wow, very nice pictures!  Thanks for that!  It's interesting how they specifically recommend Kingston TF cards on the player itself.  I can't wait to try it out.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 59
I'm trying to decide between the IHIFI960 and the Studio V 3rd Anniversary as they are similarly priced. I also have a pair of Heiraudio 3ai's on the way to pair with one these players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back