a new pair of headphones- please help
Mar 14, 2010 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

g5tar

500+ Head-Fier
im in the market for a new pair of headphones...in the past 3 months i purchased 3 pairs- i will describe my complaints: HD-25- i really dig the sound, but my ears start to throb in about 30 minutes, way too tight. SR225- also hurt my ears, they are stock. Darth Beyers V3 (black max cable) sound great, but, WAY TOO MUCH BASS, i like them on acoustic stuff, but cant stand them on bass heavy tracks. my rig is as follows: mac mini(flac)>D4>HeadRoom micro amp>xxx. the contenders are HD650 and AKG 701s...i bought all of these knowing i might not like them (thank god for resale
happy_face1.gif
) but honestly would like to stick with something. on the road i love my er4ps, absolutely love them....any suggestions?

i want something thats analytical, but still fun.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 11
The 701's might do the trick. What music do you listen to? Budget?

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 11
i have about 5,000 albums in my collection- i listen to just about everything....my recent selections have been: joanna newsom, drive-by-truckers, phosphorescent, old tom waits....the darth beyers were great...until the bass came in

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 11
Just got a pair of 702s as my first full-sized headphone of this caliber. Previously I have had various Etymotic and Ultimate Ears (non-custom) IEMS. I listen to all kinds of music, and wanted the purest, most true to the recording sound (least boost possible) I could find in my price-range (ie: no HD800s). After approximately a full week of break-in (music, TV, movies, pink and white sound) I am very pleased with their sound. I wear them for hours at a time and they are quite comfortable.

Definitely analytical, fun for me (I love pure sound and hearing details) and comfortable. I have seen some complaints about the headband on these 'phones being uncomfortable but I have experienced nothing of the kind.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by g5tar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good. What amp are you running out of?

Actually I have not yet purchased an amp/dac. I am running the 'phones directly from my laptop (HP Pavilion dv7-1129wm which is an "entertainment laptop" and I cannot for the life of me find out what the actual soundcard hardware/specs are) which seems to have an adequate soundcard. The overall sound, power and bass is quite strong as it is and would play louder than I wanted them to, if I were to try. Through the Cowon D2 is perhaps a little more anemic, but is a pleasure to listen to (with FLACs anyway).

Anyway, I will be getting an amp/dac eventually. I have been looking at the Pico amp/dac and the RSA Predator. It hurts a little bit to think of spending twice the amount of the actual 'phones on these items, but I am very interested to see what they can do for these already stunning (to me) things.

By the way I was just listening to some Joanna Newsom a few days ago on these. Sounded... like Joanna Newsom. If you know what I mean.
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 11
sounds like the DT880s. @ 600ohms might fit right in here..... analytical phone with less aggressive bass.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 11
im sure this has been a covered before, but is there a difference between the 32ohm, 250ohm and 600ohm.... Quote:

Originally Posted by wmf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like the DT880s. @ 600ohms might fit right in here..... analytical phone with less aggressive bass.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 11
Anyway, I will be getting an amp/dac eventually. I have been looking at the Pico amp/dac and the RSA Predator. It hurts a little bit to think of spending twice the amount of the actual 'phones on these items, but I am very interested to see what they can do for these already stunning (to me) things.
-take a look at the ibasso stuff (half the price, take a look at this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...mpared-214588/ i bought the d4, its great)

By the way I was just listening to some Joanna Newsom a few days ago on these. Sounded... like Joanna Newsom. If you know what I mean.
tongue.gif
[/QUOTE]
-might go see her play this thursday in brooklyn
atsmile.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

im sure this has been a covered before, but is there a difference between the 32ohm, 250ohm and 600ohm....

There is a difference...these specs are for the impedance of the headphone's drivers. The lower-impedance model (32-ohm) should be easier to power, since it takes less input voltage to achieve the same amount of output power. However, the voice coil is wound from a larger gauge wire, which has more mass.

So the tradeoff is the following:

--The low-impedance model is easier to power from a laptop or portable player, but at the cost of losing some of the "quickness" of the headphone due to the heavier voice coil.

--The high-impedance model is more difficult to power and requires an amplifier, but the lighter voice coil means less moving mass, and therefore should be "faster" and have a better transient response.

Hope that helps!

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

im sure this has been a covered before, but is there a difference between the 32ohm, 250ohm and 600ohm....
happy.gif

can you briefly explain the differences between the different ranges of ohms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back