A new IEM for classical music-solo piano
Apr 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ballcall2

Head-Fier
I am looking for a new IEM for mostly classical music -most of the time for solo piano and sometimes orchestra , and Occasionally
rock and jazz.

My budget is not really defined, but I don't want to spend to much (max 400-450$), and I don't want a custom iem.

Thanks for your help :)

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 12
For classical music, I think you want to have a fairly balanced phone, no particular emphasis in any range and good timbre (ie the instruments sound accurate). You also want to have good detail, especially in the midrange. Of the phones that I've listened to, I'd recommend the Grado iem, GR8, Great clarity, an airy sounding phone. Going for its more expensive sib would probably be a worthwhile investment, but I've never heard it.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/550361/review-j-phonic-k2-sp-custom-in-disguise

You could check out these too.

Thanks for the link

I also saw that many people reccomend the er-4p as one of the best IEM for classical. Is it really good? Are there any better ones?

For a good price, I'd agree with the ER4 too. It has the accuracy and tonal balance for classical music.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
The price is not really a big issue if it isn't over my limit (~450$) - I want to buy the best IEM for what I hear in my budget.
smily_headphones1.gif

ER4 is very, very good till that price range. If your limit was higher, I would have recommended the EX1000.

On a second thought, maybe the FX700 then?

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Of the phones that I've listened to, I'd recommend the Grado iem, GR8, Great clarity, an airy sounding phone. Going for its more expensive sib would probably be a worthwhile investment, but I've never heard it.

The Grado GR10 is my favorite IEM that I've heard when it comes to piano. It's maybe a little overpriced ($400 MSRP) but if you can get a good deal on it or you don't mind paying that price, it's a great headphone. I love them for small jazz and chamber ensembles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back