A new high end player: Colorfly
Feb 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #346 of 356
Now I've found the way to fix it.

There are three regional versions of firmware, links below. Try them and don't be afraid to break something, player doesn't notice the  wrong version. The second link pleased me :)

http://www.colorfly.net/ch/download/...G_V1.0.2.0.rar

May 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #348 of 356
Quote:
And FLAC is not the only format that Colorfly chokes on. It doesn't read AIFF, last night I tried converting all those to WAVs in Max and those do play, however at the very end of the track there's 1 second of ear raping noise. Perhaps I didn't choose the right WAV format? Should it be Microsoft's WAV maybe? It's all somewhat frustrating.

Yes, when converting AIFF or ALAC to WAV using Max, the ID tag information will remain embbeded in the WAV file for some reasons, producing this 1-2 second white noise at the end of each track. You need a software able to completely remove ID tags from your original file... I use Foobar to convert to .wav and it works like a charm.

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #350 of 356
Can the C4 be used while plugged in? I've been thinking about getting the C4 to use in a desktop setup with an amplifier, then have it double as it's own portable rig by itself, but it would be annoying to have to keep charging it for the desktop part, if I can have it suck power via USB and be used at the same time, it might be a good idea, rather than to invest in a desktop DAC and have a DAC/AMP as a portable rig, saving money and less devices.

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #351 of 356
Quote:
Can the C4 be used while plugged in? I've been thinking about getting the C4 to use in a desktop setup with an amplifier, then have it double as it's own portable rig by itself, but it would be annoying to have to keep charging it for the desktop part, if I can have it suck power via USB and be used at the same time, it might be a good idea, rather than to invest in a desktop DAC and have a DAC/AMP as a portable rig, saving money and less devices.

Yes it can. USB for power only. For digital input you need SPDIF

Just came across this thread. Did anyone else have issues with 2.0? Mine was shipped with it, I had problems with drop-outs and I downgraded to 1.9 and it was fixed.

BTW, as far as general comments, great sound quality, UI is usable but dreadfully sparse, and customer support is mediocre. I can't even get put on an email list to get notices for firmware updates.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #352 of 356
I've had this just a week now and I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

The sound quality is a huge improvement over my ipod. I've paired it with some AKG K550's and the detail is astounding. I've got to say that I've not noticed this combo lacking in bass, but then I'm not one for huge bass anyway, I much prefer bass to be tight and not overpowering. Clarity is exceptionally high.

I listen to a good mix of music from your standard pop, to hip hop, to classical and metal, and each is pleasing, live music seems to come alive. I also rip vinyl to wav files and this wasn't particularly pleasant on the ipod, but sounds very nice on the C4 & K550's

So far the sq is excellent.

The build quality seems top notch at this early stage, the wooden case is hardy, and I quite like the controls once you get used to it its very easy. The slider for volume has not moved about once in my pocket, which is something I was concerned about, but it does not seem to be an issue.

The only negatives I've found so far are that I've been unable to update the firmware. I've been onto the Colorfly site and downloaded the latest version and transferred to the root drive but its not being picked up. Secondly, the music is listed as it arrives I think, and not alphabetically, which imo, is very poor
programming. This may have been sorted with a newer firmware.....but as it won't upgrade I'll never know. With this issue, managing the file system is very important, so I've manually added folders for different genre's and added another for live recordings.

All in all, I'm happy with the build and the sq is excellent. There are shortcomings, its not as flexible (no playlists, wifi etc) but I think they've aimed this as a personal hifi unit not an ipod, and I think we need to accept that small bespoke companies like this will not get everything right, but the sound quality is exceptional and thats exactly what I wanted.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #353 of 356
Custom support is spotty at best, unfortunately, unless you are in Europe or Asia. I was able to get the correct firmware from them (I actually downgraded the firmware on mine). Try them out and see if you can get the file you need.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #354 of 356
I have a Colorfly C4 and have been happy with it especially regarding its sound quality.
But I can't seem to get around 2 things:
1.- the "Repeat Mode". I only want all the songs in the current folder to play once, but either I can play one song once, or repeat the whole folder indefinitely.
2.- Is there a way for it to turn automatically off after a period of inactivity?

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #356 of 356
CK4 supports an auto off feature, not sure about C4. it's one thing C3 really needs, that and a resume function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back