A new high end player: Colorfly
Oct 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #106 of 356
I wonder if that car would be my girlfriend?

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #107 of 356
Hey, this thing is huge!!! And seeing this thread made me realize that I should give the Cowon X7 a chance - thanks for reopening this thread.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #108 of 356

Quote:
If you are proud of the design, quality components, and workmanship, you show it off.  Such as the pics for the Sflo2 you seem to hate for some reason and the Arrow.  Never seen the internals of a Sansa, hmmm. 

Apparently you haven't looked!
rolleyes.gif

http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/08/sandisk-sansa-clip-plus-disassembly/
http://anythingbutipod.com/2008/03/sandisk-sansa-fuze-disassembly/

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #109 of 356
Oct 11, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #110 of 356
who the fork cares what it looks like on the inside? 

Just imagine the time/space flux chaos that taking one of these Colorflys out your pocket (if it fits in the first place) on the way to work might cause.....

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #112 of 356
LOL!!! Naw, I went and bought an iPod classic 7G - I love it. That's why I haven't been posting all that much, I'm actually enjoying the hell out of it.

Quote:
Anymore info on this DAP? Anyone actually hear it yet?

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #113 of 356
I received an email from Colorful saying it would be available for purchase in Europe from November 1st.  They said the cost would be 420 Euros and they will send me information on how to purchase once they get a shipment of Colorflys.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #114 of 356
design dun really appeal to me!
frown.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #115 of 356
I get offer for the 32GB Pro version 599 EUR including our VAT (25% in Hungary) and delivery (52 EUR).

To be honest I just bought my first real headphone Superlux HD668B and Musiland Monitor 01 US.
Until now I just used my HarmanKardon AVR-255 (slightly modified)

But my plan was (still thinking) on getting just a JooJoo tablet (with stand and with shipping: 389 EUR),
install win7 on it (+ upgrade with min 32GB SSD with delivery: 155EUR) and use it with that USB-DAC.
Maybe the sound quality enough for me and I can use for anything else...

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #116 of 356
well while I dont really dig the look that much and think that wood was a bit of a strange choice for portable and the volume lever is lame, you gotta give them an A for effort. the specs read well, though I would chooe some different chips, but hey I'm not the designer. I actually think the internal shots prove that its serious and sure look better than a certain other large dap,

the comments about the electrolytic caps are a bit humorous, I would love to see how you are going to carry out this ban, everything has them, as it should, even the highest end stuff will have them in the power supply reservoir, which from the pics is all it seems to be using them for. There is no other type of cap that provides enough capacitance in a small package, that has a high enough voltage rating.and produces low output Z at the same time, possibly lower than the battery which is a good thing. To ban them is to decide you dont want any of the trappings of modern life. they arent in the signal path from what I can tell and there are also a good amount of oscons in there for the digital section, plus local NPO decoupling caps on the supply lines. I think the use of high quality SMD inductors to filter off the noise from charge pumps and the PWM is a good move, all around seems a good job and a fairly sound datasheet like implementation, nothing particularly original tho IMO. 

i'm not in the market for one, but if I was looking in that segment, this would be on the radar as with these ingredients it should sound quite good. I would love if they did something without the dac and amp, just the transport, the clock and upsampling section, then digi output and large memory

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #117 of 356
It's on my radar along with the  hifiman 602. Still loving my SFLO:2 but these two players if they are a real and substantial upgrade to the SFLO:2 would certainly be considered by me. Kind of lame though that with these threads you have to fight through the usual crowd to mock any of these types of players before anyone has even listened to them.

My botton line is SQ, I don;'t care what the player looks like how bad the controls or GUI is etc. SQ is the goal and I don't care how i have to get there.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #118 of 356

Quote:
the comments about the electrolytic caps are a bit humorous, I would love to see how you are going to carry out this ban, everything has them, as it should, even the highest end stuff will have them in the power supply reservoir, which from the pics is all it seems to be using them for. There is no other type of cap that provides enough capacitance in a small package, that has a high enough voltage rating.and produces low output Z at the same time, possibly lower than the battery which is a good thing. To ban them is to decide you dont want any of the trappings of modern life. they arent in the signal path from what I can tell and there are also a good amount of oscons in there for the digital section, plus local NPO decoupling caps on the supply lines. I think the use of high quality SMD inductors to filter off the noise from charge pumps and the PWM is a good move, all around seems a good job and a fairly sound datasheet like implementation, nothing particularly original tho IMO. 

That comment is even more humorous.  According to you I wouldn't even have a motherboard in my PC or a videocard.  Not to mention my portable Arrow or other portable electronics that DO NOT use electrolytic caps.  Stop being cheap and use better materials.  Get out of the 60s man.  For $600 euros and all that hype about craftsmanship, I expect more.

http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/12/article_02_all_solid.htm

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #119 of 356
yep, well if I hadnt just about finished my portable buffalo II balanced dac/amp I would be looking at it too. none of these players come close as far as spec and it sure sounds awesome (not a product, just in case anyone feels like emailing me again, its just a labor of love to stave upgraditus) I dont think there is any doubt it will sound better than the Sflo2, if it doesnt with that hardware pedigree theyve made some pretty serious boo boos. agreed it gets a bit tiring. I have been part of that crew too, well not so much, I dont think the 801 was well executed technically and have been outspoken about that, but this seems a bit better thought through in many aspects.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #120 of 356

Quote:
That comment is even more humorous.  According to you I wouldn't even have a motherboard in my PC or a videocard.  Not to mention my portable Arrow or other portable electronics that DO NOT use electrolytic caps.  Stop being cheap and use better materials.  Get out of the 60s man.  For $600 euros and all that hype about craftsmanship, I expect more.

http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/12/article_02_all_solid.htm

it is quite clear you are running your mouth off here; I think you will find that your MOBO power supply does indeed have some very large lowZ electrolytic caps, and the arrow too, maybe not in the signal path, which as far as I can tell this doesnt either, but it is a FACT that ceramic caps, polymer caps and film caps either do not come in a large enough capacity, or if they do, the voltage rating is too low to be of any use in an amp, in a digital circuit or localized reservoir maybe, where the power is only 5v max. oscons scome in 20-25v rating when they are only 50-100uf, but once they get large like you need in main PSU reservoir caps, they go down to only 6v or so, 200u maybe 10v, but that is of no real use in a main PSU cap, you need 1000uf at least and in your mobo, more again

I build more sophisticated dacs and amps than this at home for my own use and they still use electrolytic caps in the power supply.

its quite easy to spend upwards of 50 dollars on a large low Z electro for high powered amps cheap??

this is where forums like this become dangerous, people read up on some technical details and all of a sudden they are experts

yep as I thought, just looked at your link, its the MOBO, with organic polymer caps, just like this DAP uses in the same positions, they can use these because logic level circuits are low voltage, max 5v and mostly only 1.8 and 3.3v, but the power supply that supplies thejuice for this board you proiudly parade will without a doubt use electrolytic caps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back