A new high end player: Colorfly
Aug 31, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #61 of 356

Quote:
Can you guys imagine a DAP that functioned as a drop-in dock for a 2.5" HDD? If it had the right form factor, it wouldn't have to be much bigger than the drive, especially if it just had a digital out. Think of the way HDDs drop into the bottom of an HP laptop.

Why not just use eSATA port?

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #62 of 356

Quote:
I know about 320gb 1.8", but my reply was to your post about 2.5"

SDXC standart only allows memory cards with capacity up to 2TB. It doesn't mean that there will be 2TB in size of an SD card immediately as the standart adopted; the only thing it means is that there could be cards with capacity more than 32GB (previous standart didn't allowed it) and that there never will be SDXC cards with capacity more than 2TB.
Look at this from such a point: in 2002, HDDs were close in size to 128GB, and old standart (LBA28) didn't allowed HDDs larger than 128GB, so new standart LBA48 was introduced. It allowed HDDs with capacity up to 128 petabytes (that is about 131072TB). 8 years has passed since that standart was adopted; and nobody thought that maximum practical capacity of HDDs is only limited by standart, and that 128 petabytes HDDs will appear within a couple of years from adopting a new standart.
Realistically, flash memory capacity doubles in the same volume about every 1.5 years (except for the last couple of years due to economic recession), so you shouldn't expect 2TB memory cards until 2018 or so. Maybe later, but unlikely sooner.

You are kinda just floating out in space there.  I said when SDXC MATURES.  As long as the SDXC specification is kept true and not downgraded (Samsung-cough, cough) that means you use the cards as they become available.  Your complaint is a 2.5" 640GB drive is not portable.  So how hard is it to carry 10x64GB  cards in a $5 SDcard wallet?  How about 5x128GB cards?  How about 2x256GB cards?  I don't need a lesson in technological development and deployment versus market conditions and profitabilty, thanks.  So back to the topic at hand perhaps?  
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #63 of 356
it does look good in a retro kind of way ....but i cant help but think they overlooked some important aspects of portability to achieve that look!
the up-down potentiometer will be a hindrance in portability....how do they expect it to stay in place if its kept in pocket and the owner is moving  ?

and will it have a port for memory upgrade.

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #64 of 356

Quote:
the up-down potentiometer will be a hindrance in portability....how do they expect it to stay in place if its kept in pocket and the owner is moving  ?

It depends on how easily it is moved. It could be designed in that way that it requires a significant force to move the slider.

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #69 of 356
I am sure it will have a hold button or something to lock volume in place. Am still not convinced that it is designed as a primarily portable player. A came to that conclusion because of the overall size and the volume slider. It would most definitely work great as a small desktop set up.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #71 of 356

Quote:
Looks ugly, too big, and probably doesn't sound good.

Come on mate, you can do better than that. Best to comment on sound once you have actually heard it.

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #72 of 356
Is it only me that think it looks pretty cool?
I like the old radio-ish look of it and i think it defiantly beats Hifiman on the looks department.
I'm very interested to hear how it sounds!

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #75 of 356
that is one huge mother..................
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back