A new DVD release worthy of viewing: The Ringer
Jun 7, 2006 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
The Ringer, Starring Johnny Knoxville of Jackass and Dukes of Hazard fame, produced by the Ferelly brothers of Something about Mary fame..

I was pleasantly surprised with this film. I wasn't exactly sure what it had in store, but remarkably, this is a very good movie respectfully done. I was expecting tasteless jokes and such.. but in actuality the film gives a bit of insight in regards to the special olympics, which maintaining a light hearted inspirational theme.

The film is not the funniest, but it does have its comedic moments that are pure gold, aka Jeffy's spur of the moment last name and his reactions towards the love interest's fiance.

Rather than what one would expect, Johnny plays a very convincing role in the film, with a heart of gold, but life situations force him to do what some may seem as incredibly immoral.

Ill write a small portion of what the movie is about but will not post any spoilers so those interested in a nice light hearted comedy can get a short rundown about what the film is about.

Steve(Knoxville) is an under appreciated office clerk, upon his first promotion in 2 years at the office, his first assignment is to fire the janitor, of course this is a tough dilema, as the janitor has 5 kids and his wife just recently passed away.

Without the heart to kick him out on the street, he hires Stavo the Janitor under his wing, and during his new job Stavo is met with an unfortunate accident that requires $28,000 for surgery. With no medical insurance, Steves forced to do the unthinkable.. fix the special olympics with his sleazy uncle so they can win $100,000 to help pay his uncles loan shark debt and pay off Stavo's medical bills.

As he joins the olympics as Jeffy, and unknowingly falls in love with one of the care takers and the moral dilema increases and his conscience starts eating at him even more. His roomates at the dormatory, soon discover his secret, but instead of having him banned from the olympics, they work on helping him become a better person.

Most of the comic moments of the film are found within Steves ventures though his training with his new found friends, and discovers many things along the movie.

The film was made with the support of the special olympics to ensure that the movie was tastefully done.

I'd say this is an unexpected surprise and would recommend people looking for a nice film to watch at least give it a rent. The special features are great and informative and its was far from what I was expecting the movie to be.

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 2
I actually wanted to see this, but wasn't sure if it was gonna be a "low blow" to the Special Olympics kind of funny. I'll most likely check it out now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back