A New DNA amp
Apr 23, 2019 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

claud W

Headphoneus Supremus
Taken from the ZMF Verite thread. Any additional info and pics would be appreciated.

Hi Tommy,

This new amp has a similar topology as Stratus & Stellaris: dual triode input tube cap coupled to triode output tubes which are transformer coupled to the headphones. It uses different tubes from the Stratus/Stellaris and is not a Sonett 3.

Best,
Donald

May 1, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 6
:astonished:

I'm always interested in anything new Don is bringing out. I had the original, serial #002 Sonett back about 7-8 years ago and it still holds a special place in my heart.

Looking forward to hearing any new news here.

May 5, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 6
The member that posted about the prototype said its a $2000 amp. A new entry level amp? Also it can be made in a much shorter time than Stratus/Solaris.

May 6, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Copied from a post in the "Verite" thread on this forum:

Donald's a really nice guy who is truly passionate about tube amps and music. He told me he tried to incorporate what he learned from making Stratus and Stellaris and try to recreate that similar sound with slightly smaller form factor.(about 80% of the size of the Stratus)

The aesthetic is more closely related to Stratus than the Sonnett.

Tubes that are being used are very affordable ones compared to some that costs hundreds to find matched pairs or replacements.

This was his first time hearing the Verite so it was definitely a fun experience for both of us trying something new.

This was my chain: Soekris 1541 > DNA prototype > ZMF Verite Silk (about 3 weeks of burn in)
**I tried to keep the chain same but the Gumby has been stuck in transit since Thursday and didn't make it in time for the listening.**

- amp is very resolving with nice instrument separation
- the level of microdetail was on par with ZDS (from memory)
- stage width is slightly smaller than ZDS (from memory) but doesn't lack in depth. **Take this with a grain of salt because the difference could also be due to my Soekris DAC since when I had the ZDS I was using the Gumby and Yggy which had better stage width and depth. I'm sure if Gumby/ Yggy were used in this chain, the stage would be about the same
- great treble presentation. It maintains a nice balance without sounding too harsh or too dark. Verite with Verite pads sounded smooth out of this amp. I could still hear the slight peak but didn't bother me or detract from my listening experience. Donald and I both preferred it with the Universe pads.
- I think the vocals and the mids were the highlight. Maintains a nice presence of the vocals with layers and texture without being too forward and shouty.
- only small nitpick I would make if I have to is that the subbass is slightly soft and rounded. When I say "slight", I mean VERY slight. I didn't notice it with the Universe pads, but when I used the Verite pads, I thought it didn't extend as far or punch as hard as I remember when I used the built-in amp straight from the Soekris.

Donald said I can come over to his house next time and he'll let me compare this amp to the Stellaris and the Stratus :) This was... an awesome day.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 6
That's great news to hear.

What you had to say about the bass region was a bit similar to my experience with the Sonett. Overall, the presentation was detailed, smooth, and the mids were magical. And the craftsmanship was excellent. But the bass depth, detail, and impact was a bit light and that is something I personally need. The headphone choice can help with that, but nothing helps like having an amp that has better control in that region and really lets your headphones sing. And being fed by a great DAC. I would love to try my old Sonett again now that I have a much better, and more suitable for me, DAC like the T+A DAC 8 DSD and being fed by a better upstream chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back