A new dac + amp to replace my Xonar Essence ST. - Or will it? Dolby inside.
Sep 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HK47

100+ Head-Fier

Hi, so i've currently got a Xonar Essence ST inside my computer, tightly hugging my GPU. Very tightly.
I see this as a reason to upgrade my source to something external, something physical outside the computer. 
Something that is "stuff". Because i love stuff. 

Here's the thing: I like Dolby Headphone. I think it sounds too much in the lower back of my head with some kind of "floury" feeling without it. So what about it? Keep the Essence and keep the dolby. Or get the Xonar Essence One when it's released? 

Well, i did stumble upon reports that it's not just the dolby making this great difference. I stumbled upon the words of a fellow head-fier who said it was the Essence that just sounded awful without it and it was needed to get a pleasant surprise.

Now that makes me both a bit sad and happy at the same time. This could mean that a separate DAC + AMP would still sound great even without the Dolby Headphone. 

But then, if it's not. I'll feel like i've wasted the money. 
Now about the Xonar One, yes. It's a possibility. Perhaps. But i was thinking of something less consumerish-computerish. 
Something from a company that will need to work for the pay, that has to deliver a great product at a great price. That doesn't rely on the name to sell. 

I've spoken a bit to Mal and he's given me a few suggestions. of which i find the Maverick Tubemagic D1 DAC + AMP most interesting.

I've sold a few of my headphones, but i don't want to spend too much. I'm thinking 300 would be the max.
I'd rather stay on 200 like the maverick though or something between.

I do like a robust industrial piece of machinery. The Matrix Cube also mentioned is what i define as ugly as hell.

My current headphones are the Denon AH-D2000, the Aiaiai TMA-1's (which i really love) and the Ultrasone Pro 900. 
As you can see here, low impedance phones. I do however plan on getting a few open and/or higher OHM-phones as i'm still exploring. So take that into account. 

Please note that i live in sweden, so i would like to buy from stores with reasonable shipping. The Maverick can be had for 220$ shipped, which is a steal in my opinion.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 8
but did hugging your GPU degraded your audio quality?
if not? why change?

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 8
I want to get rid of the card for numerous reasons.

1. I like stuff. I like stuff on my desk. It looks stuffy.
2. I want to have more space on my motherboard. (mATX in a Corsair Obsidian 800D. Looks silly.)
3. I want better sound. Because what i read, the the Xonar isn't more than decent actually.

I feel that i need a better source to justify more headphones. (Or well, this is what i want to think so i have a reason to get something new.)

Quote:
but did hugging your GPU degraded your audio quality?
if not? why change?

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I want to get rid of the card for numerous reasons.

1. I like stuff. I like stuff on my desk. It looks stuffy.
2. I want to have more space on my motherboard. (mATX in a Corsair Obsidian 800D. Looks silly.)
3. I want better sound. Because what i read, the the Xonar isn't more than decent actually.

I feel that i need a better source to justify more headphones. (Or well, this is what i want to think so i have a reason to get something new.)

And who told you the Xonar isn't more than decent? Are you a subjectivist or an objectivist? If you trust the numbers, the Essence STX (not ST, but close) is possibly the best in the price range, and competitive in the $300-400 range. If you trust subjective impressions, keep in mind audiophiles think that just because it's internal it's no good. It's shielded from EMI, and it has lower noise than most externals in the price range, so that's simply not true. From my subjective impressions, if the Essence STX sounds bad then the Benchmark DAC1 sounds bad, and objectively so does every other flat frequency response DAC and amp.

Is it possible the Essence ST is considerably worse than the STX? I suppose, but I doubt it.

Do you actually listen to music with Dolby Headphone on? It colors the sound a lot. Any external solution without Dolby Headphone is going to sound strange to you if you're used to that coloration. I'd actually recommend you turn it off and try to listen that way. Try to get used to it, because if you don't you'll be stuck with it forever. A good crossfeed plugin for your music player will help to prevent the stereo separation you don't like, and it will color the sound much less.

Why do you want more space on your motherboard, exactly? Because it looks silly? How often do you stare at your internal components? How often does anyone else?

Take a metal box of some sort, cut a cable-sized hole in the front and back, and run your headphone cable through it. There, now it looks like you have a fancy amp on your desk, but instead you have a component that's actually good.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 8
Of the two, the ST is the version that's gotten a few "fixes" minor stuff but anyways but is the latest version. Well, what i read the Essence (if you don't use the Dolby Headphone) isn't that good. 
It was just one member but hey, i'm in the spendy-money mood and i'll take what reasons i get.

Why i want more space? Because i need it. I ended up spending more money than it's worth (Performance/dollar) on a graphics card due to limited space. I would otherwise have gotten more performance for the buck running SLI. It's tight. 

But i'll turn off dolby and make sure i'm not used to it anymore and try the crossfeed plugins.
And then i'll see if i still prefer dolby or not. 

I might add that i think it sounds more "natural" and clear with Dolby. But it doesn't sound bad without it. 
Quote:
And who told you the Xonar isn't more than decent? Are you a subjectivist or an objectivist? If you trust the numbers, the Essence STX (not ST, but close) is possibly the best in the price range, and competitive in the $300-400 range. If you trust subjective impressions, keep in mind audiophiles think that just because it's internal it's no good. It's shielded from EMI, and it has lower noise than most externals in the price range, so that's simply not true. From my subjective impressions, if the Essence STX sounds bad then the Benchmark DAC1 sounds bad, and objectively so does every other flat frequency response DAC and amp.

Is it possible the Essence ST is considerably worse than the STX? I suppose, but I doubt it.

Do you actually listen to music with Dolby Headphone on? It colors the sound a lot. Any external solution without Dolby Headphone is going to sound strange to you if you're used to that coloration. I'd actually recommend you turn it off and try to listen that way. Try to get used to it, because if you don't you'll be stuck with it forever. A good crossfeed plugin for your music player will help to prevent the stereo separation you don't like, and it will color the sound much less.

Why do you want more space on your motherboard, exactly? Because it looks silly? How often do you stare at your internal components? How often does anyone else?

Take a metal box of some sort, cut a cable-sized hole in the front and back, and run your headphone cable through it. There, now it looks like you have a fancy amp on your desk, but instead you have a component that's actually good.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 8
I wouldn't place much (read:any) value in the overwhelming majority of DAC impressions. In fact, if it hasn't got a comprehensive set of measurements I would dismiss most products out of hand, especially those designed to dodgy "audiophile" criteria (negative feedback is evil, that sort of thing). As an Essence ST owner, you are one of the lucky people who can enjoy a piece of kit that is known to perform past the level of diminishing (read:existing) returns. Incidentally, the Essence ST is a mild technical (technical=/audible) improvement on the STX due to a 200ps onboard oscillator for superior clocking.

How much do you want that space?

NB: The amplifier in the STX has room for improvement when driving low impedance headphones. Obviously not applicable to line outs.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Well.. i want that space. So perhaps i want a new motherboard instead. 
I wanted an improvement on sound too, and a physical presence. But i'm fine without it!

Quote:
I wouldn't place much (read:any) value in the overwhelming majority of DAC impressions. In fact, if it hasn't got a comprehensive set of measurements I would dismiss most products out of hand, especially those designed to dodgy "audiophile" criteria (negative feedback is evil, that sort of thing). As an Essence ST owner, you are one of the lucky people who can enjoy a piece of kit that is known to perform past the level of diminishing (read:existing) returns. Incidentally, the Essence ST is a mild technical (technical=/audible) improvement on the STX due to a 200ps onboard oscillator for superior clocking.

How much do you want that space?

NB: The amplifier in the STX has room for improvement when driving low impedance headphones. Obviously not applicable to line outs.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 8
If you like dolby sound then it might be better to stick to ST/STX, essence ONE etc(basically the product tht came from a pc soundcard maker or an AV reciever).

cause I dont think there is any the so called Hi-Fi DAC have dolby technology on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back