a new breed of headphones!!!!!
Mar 17, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #16 of 25
Imagine these things taking over the iBud. Instead of hearing other peoples music turned up way too loud, you will just see their head vibrating rapidly.
blink.gif

On a serious note, I guess these would be good for people with severe hearing loss or tinnitus.

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLBieRe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would transfer "Playboy " instead

basshead.gif

Yeah, I'm sure if the technology was invented everybody would just use it to transmit naughty-naughties and American Idol to their head.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #18 of 25
I didn't hear the ones you pointed to, but I did hear a pair of bone conduction cans at CES called the Audio Bone. Looks like around $150.

pegaso.jpg

It's not gonna win any medals around hear, but I sounded a lot better than I expected; you could certainly listen to music with it with a modicum of pleasure. But the guy said that there are some people who are deaf in the eardrum/middle ear area that can actually use these to listen to music. I though it was pretty cool.

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the guy said that there are some people who are deaf in the eardrum/middle ear area that can actually use these to listen to music. I though it was pretty cool.

Yeah I wouldn't really expect this technology to transcend into high-fidelitydom, but it's one of those innovations that allow for miracles to happen. If I were deaf I'd lay down all the money I had to be able to hear music again.

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I wouldn't really expect this technology to transcend into high-fidelitydom, but it's one of those innovations that allow for miracles to happen. If I were deaf I'd lay down all the money I had to be able to hear music again.

Problem is it's limited to the type of deafness though. If you have hearing loss due to a middle ear injury, then these probably will really work well. If it's inner ear, they won't do anything. I wonder how they are with isolation: though it might seem weird to hear someone else's music via their skull
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
icon10.gif
If you really crank up the music, maybe you'd also get vertigo (since your vestibules could go haywire too from all the vibration)
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 25
Do people really hear their own voices mostly through bone conduction? I suppose that explains a lot.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do people really hear their own voices mostly through bone conduction? I suppose that explains a lot.

If that's the case, then the music will probably also sound very different...

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's the case, then the music will probably also sound very different...

i'm sure they designed it so that the music sounds like "headphones" and not distorted like hearing your own voice... i'm always surprised when i hear my own voice in recordings
redface.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's why a recording of your voice will sound so different to you, yet that's what everyone else hears when you talk.

I've confused myself with that sentence.

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why a recording of your voice will sound so different to you, yet that's what everyone else hears when you talk.

I've confused myself with that sentence.

My understanding of the universe has just increased slightly. Another one bites the dust.

Winky!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back