A need to amp IEMs??
Feb 17, 2006 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

GreatDane

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm using E4c and amp them with a PA2v2, my source is a Sony MD player.

I've found that using the PA2 is almost a must in order to get enough SPL from the E4c. Without the amp the E4c sound thin and music becomes compressed very quickly. I notice the same thing with my PCDP. I feel that to take full advantage from an upper level IEM an amp is required.

Some will argue that an amp is simply not required for IEMs in general. Am I imagining this improvement? I think not...what do you think?

P.S. I'm planning to upgrade to a much better amp
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 15
if you are looking to bust your ears, then ya, you may have trouble getting volume out of a portable with iems.

i use the amp just to "clean" the sound. it sounds crazy, but it helps.

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
if you are looking to bust your ears, then ya, you may have trouble getting volume out of a portable with iems.

i use the amp just to "clean" the sound. it sounds crazy, but it helps.

With my DT-880 I listen at between 85~90 dB for most music and probably match this SPL with my E4c, so I think that's fairly safe...I'm trying to save my hearing but I do sometimes listen in the 95dB range for short durations if the songs begs for it.

With the miniscule amount of power that portable players offer , I agree that an amp will atleast "clean up" the sound...doesn't sound crazy to me at all.

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 15
I dont see how you'd bust your ears with iems. YOu dont need to put the volume nearly as loud as open air headphones. I just put my er-4s and supermacro at the lowest possible volume where i can still hear all the detail. If anything i feel that IEMS (if used properly) can save your ears.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
With my DT-880 I listen at between 85~90 dB for most music and probably match this SPL with my E4c, so I think that's fairly safe...I'm trying to save my hearing but I do sometimes listen in the 95dB range for short durations if the songs begs for it.

Dude! 85 dB is very loud and damaging to your ears! I would turn it down
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
I dont see how you'd bust your ears with iems. YOu dont need to put the volume nearly as loud as open air headphones. I just put my er-4s and supermacro at the lowest possible volume where i can still hear all the detail. If anything i feel that IEMS (if used properly) can save your ears.

What nikongod meant was that portable players don't give you as much volume output as an external amp would.

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 15
IEMS can definitely benefit from a good amping. EQ is handled a lot better with an amp - which I definitely _never_ use anymore since I've moved from my PA2V2 to my SuperMacro.

IEMs are great straight out of the box (and after some burn in, if you believe in it), but it never hurts to give them some JUICE!
580smile.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Dude! 85 dB is very loud and damaging to your ears! I would turn it down
eek.gif

What nikongod meant was that portable players don't give you as much volume output as an external amp would.

85 dB is very loud ???

Do you go about your life with ear plugs then?? lol

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

85 dB is very loud ???

Do you go about your life with ear plugs then?? lol

I'm being serious.

85 dB is damaging for normal listening. Noise in everyday life is way less than 85 dB. Regular speech is 60 dB. THAT'S LESS THAN 100 TIMES THE SOUND INTENSITY LEVEL. Background city noise is like 35-45 dB.

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 15
60 dB Everyday conversation.
70 dB Restaurant.
80 dB city traffic, alarm clock at 2 feet, vacuum cleaner, garbage disposal.
90 dB Subway trains, motorcycle, lawn mower.
100 dB Chain saw, pneumatic drill.
110 dB Dance club.
120 dB Rock concert speaker sound, thunderclap.
130 dB Jet take off, gunfire.

I won't argue with your views, it's just that the average person is subjected to 80dB+ on a daily basis.

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 15
90 dbA 8 hrs
92 dbA 6 hrs
95 dbA 4 hrs
97 dbA 3 hrs
100 dbA 2 hrs
102 dbA 1.5 hrs
105 dbA 1 hr
110 dbA 0.5 hr
115 dbA 0.25 hr or less

OSHA Regulation 1910.95 - Occupational noise exposure

OSHA limits noise exposure levels in the work environment to about 90dB for an 8-hour period, but permits exposure to higher levels for short periods. Many experts believe that the OSHA numbers are too high for hearing safety.

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

I won't argue with your views, it's just that the average person is subjected to 80dB+ on a daily basis.

For seconds/minutes at a time, yes. However, regular and prolonged listening through headphones is a different matter. Whatever, it's your hearing loss, not mine
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by max-9
Or lower impedance IEMs with no amp ? am I wrong?

Do you mean to use lower impedance IEMs with no amp?

I thought all IEMs were fairly low impedance??

My view was that I assume most all portable players have an ouput somewhere in the 10~20 mW range...not enough imo, although it seems that many listeners are happy to get 65dB out of their IEMs/full size- not me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back