A n00b's review of the Bose Triports
Nov 16, 2003 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ch1nkster

100+ Head-Fier
ok so today, my dad and i went to this plaza place that had many stores such as The Good Guys and Best Buy (both of which are electronics shops that sell stuff at high, rip-off prices; good guys is better than BB) and went into the stores to look at some stuff. as i walked around in best buy, i was supries that they only had 3 phones you can try out which were the Bose Triports, MDR-V700DJ, and V600. having heard the v700 and v600 before and thought they were crap, i decided to try the Triports to see why everybody was baggin' on them on these forums. here goes:

Sound Quality
my first impression of these headphones was quite good mostly because they had this weird type of bass i've never heard before. i stood in the isle and listened to them for about 2 minutes and the crappiness started to kick in. even such a n00b as me could tell that the treble was crap. actually, they didn't sound that bad, until i saw the $150 price tag! man are these suckas overpriced. i could not easily tell if the phones were crap becasue the music being played was some song i've never heard before. bose tries to make you buy their headphones because they offer a lot of bass, something that a n00b looks for when hearing non-stock headphones. listening to them for only 2 minutes, the only thing i liked was the bass they offered.

Build Quality
ahahah are you kidding me? man these headphones have the build quality of 7 dollar cans. the earpads are really thin and there is like a big hollow space between (which isn't that bad, as they are quite comfortable). i ripped part of the cloth covering the drivers away to see attempt to take a look at the drivers for fun, and i found excess plastic sticking out of the inside of the phones. there were also marks like 083929 or whatever on the inside. the headband sucks **** and is like 1 cm thick, which i can imagine ripping apart by itself when i put the headphones inside my backpack.

Value
for $150 these headphones, they are as if a 5 yr old kid accidentally put the wrong price tag on them. i would not pay more than $50 for them. i thought they sounded okay until i got home and listened to my v6's and d66 for some time.

what's ironic is that in both stores (best buy and good guys) i could not try out the other headphones for some reason as the music would not come out of other headphones (good guys had some good headphones like senn hd-590 and some other senns headphones). sounds like some kind of marketing scam! since i am a n00b, i only know how to look for bass and treble in headphones. even so, i could clearly hear the difference between my headphones and the triports. overall, they don't sound horrible, but my $20 HP-170 pwns them like hell.

Nov 16, 2003 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 13
Nice review, ch1nkster, and welcome to Head-fi!
smily_headphones1.gif
I heard the Triports at Best Buy several months ago, and I was amazed at how bad they sounded. I suspect there was a problem with the source they were hooked up to, though, because there was almost no bass, but plenty grainy treble. Also, while the V-Crap headphones on display were taking the usual consumer abuse quite well, the Triports headband had snapped.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
"Buy Other Sound Equipment"
evil_smiley.gif

That's exactly what I think of Bose for many years...
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I couldn't agree more. These days buying Bose is like buying cloths at the Gap. You're paying for a name not quality. I think that Bose offers alright consumer Joe grade audio gear. The problem is that they charge audiophile prices. I paid $30 for my Senn HD-202s and they sound far better than my fathers Sony's and he paid over twice what I did. It is too bad that I can't audition more sets of cans because most stores around here don't offer that. Utah doesn’t have the best electronics stores around, at least not in my area.

Great review as well ch1nkster.
cool.gif

Nov 17, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 13
ahaha thanks guys

anyway, today i went back to that plaza place and went to best buy to buy some rip-off blank md's because i don't want to wait for the shipping of online orders.

...and....

i found the bose triports all messed up. no bs people. well, it wasn't ravaged just that the headband was broken off and 2 cans were separated. looks like somebody hates bose
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 13
Hmm...so they were like this when you found them? Suuuure. Don't worry, I won't tell.
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2003 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 13
It's really too bad, now how can anyone learn how they really sound before buying them? At least with the display units folks had a chance to know better!
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 13
While I can certainly sympathize and agree with your dislike of Bose Triports, I don't think listening to them for two minutes was a fair trial for sound quality. I think a longer listening session is required for you to state such a definitive opinion.

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Unfortunately people often hear (or see for that matter) what they want to hear or rather what they expect to hear. Not what their ears are telling them.
It's bose, it's expensive and it's supposed to sound good so it does sound good.

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #11 of 13
well actually they sounded pretty damned good when i was listening to them at the store. i thought that they sounded alright until i saw the price tag and i got to listen to other headphones at this music shop i just been to. yes, i know that it's not good to judge a pair of headphones just by listening them to 2 minutes, but my mind leads me to think they are sucky because of the crap build quality and the overpriced tag.

bose headphones are alright and don't sound bad to the untrained ear (such as mine), but they are just too overpriced. (have you noticed that none of their hometheather systems are THX ceitified? that's kinda weird to me.) anyway, i think that even hd-170's sound better than the given the amount of money that the triports ask for.

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 13
Until you compare it with other hi-fi brands at half the price that is.

Always thought Bose speakers were ok - ie. not as bad as audio buffs claim they are - but then i had the chance to listen to the bose side-by-side with other brands like Whafedale, Polk and Canton. The differences were quite significant.

Must say I felt the urge to go on a crusade against Bose.... they shouldn't charge that much for their speakers!

Nov 20, 2003 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
Until you compare it with other hi-fi brands at half the price that is.

Always thought Bose speakers were ok - ie. not as bad as audio buffs claim they are - but then i had the chance to listen to the bose side-by-side with other brands like Whafedale, Polk and Canton. The differences were quite significant.

Must say I felt the urge to go on a crusade against Bose.... they shouldn't charge that much for their speakers!

I agree. I own Bose 901's and 501's (from the 70's). Contrary to popular belief, they do fill the room quite nicely and yield performance feeling like sitting 1/2 way to the back of an auditorium. However, the "presence" isn't there...neither is the detail and decay. The active equalizer helps solve a few problems, but doesn't compensate for muddiness.

They're ok, but not great. For $3000, they're way overpriced. For $400 for a pair, they're just right. Same goes for their headphones.

I'd probably buy a pair of Triports if they sold 'em for $5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back