A.N.T. Amber impressions
Apr 17, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
Thanks for the impression, pbirkett. But nobody wanna talk about the current price?
evil_smiley.gif

I've read 300GBP on bangraman's review. Way, way too much IMHO. I was dreaming €150 and ready to go €200, but no more. Or am i too much optimistic?
Better sound but same price than Rega, that would be competitive IMO.

At €200 you are still dreaming
rolleyes.gif

What is misunderstood with the ANT is that the cost is for matched components and labour - which is also what gives it the great performance.

Put another way the Emerald will be much more expensive but some of us mere mortals find it hard to discern the difference between the Amber & Emerald, making th Amber better value IMO.

If you were were to try the ANT you would appreciate this - unfortunately the appearance gives the wrong impression.

Apr 17, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #17 of 30
I was blown away by the sound of this amp at the Nottingham meet... I tried it with HD650s and my DT531s... The sound was beautiful.

I kind of agree that the case makes it look a bit cheap, however I'd like to think that the money saved on using a hammond case is used inside on better components...

Apr 18, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #18 of 30
Well, a few days have passed, and I am not joking when I say this amp has left quite an impression on me! So much so, it is the first amp I can say is a clear improvement on using my old Rotel integrated, without any real doubt.

What is also clear, is that it is a very lively amplifier, with a very alive sound, but one that is possibly slightly too much in combination with the DT531... which possibly just sound too sharp and unrefined... but I feel its a trait of the headphones, since they've already been like that before, but with the EMU and now the Amber, its possibly being outdone a bit now... I am wondering how warmer headphones will sound, because I think this has the get up and go to wake up "lazy" sounding headphones like Sennheisers... hmm, I am wondering what the HD650 sounds like driven by this beast!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit: Even despite the faults of the DT531 I speak of, they still clearly sound way better than I've ever heard them...

Apr 18, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #19 of 30
is that a subtle way of saying that it might not be suitable for grado headphones? .. I'm desperately trying to look for a viable uk option for my alessandro ms-2s (originals) and aside from importing a gilmore lite, there don't seem to be that many options over here :/

Apr 18, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #20 of 30
I honestly dont know to be honest... maybe Duncan could chime in, because he has the Amber and also the RS-1.... but at a wild guess, perhaps it would be a bit too forward, but I honestly dont know for sure without hearing.

I know that the Gilmore Lite is forward though, so perhaps it shares a similar tone in which case it might work.

Apr 18, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rOAdeh
is that a subtle way of saying that it might not be suitable for grado headphones? .. I'm desperately trying to look for a viable uk option for my alessandro ms-2s (originals) and aside from importing a gilmore lite, there don't seem to be that many options over here :/

pbirkett's review is right on the money with my impressions and all the impressions i've read on this amp - energy and impact up the wazoo, and soundstage is the damn biggest i've heard from a solid state so far. with my 0404, this amp was just destroying all cans in its path - honestly, i needed a more mellow can like the senns or beyer 880 or something, because with the grado it's like putting a lion in a cage with a tiger - TOO much energy lol! But yes the soundstage was really impressive, it was trippy hearing that far out of my head with the usually narrow grado. this amp won't extend the bass enourmously, just as a grado's bass won't go as deep as, say, the DT770. but the slam is just insane.

for synergy, i find my 0404/solo/grado combo to be the right fit. but that would certainly change depending on the can. 1212/amber/dt880, anyone?

Apr 18, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
energy and impact up the wazoo, and soundstage is the damn biggest i've heard from a solid state so far. with my 0404, this amp was just destroying all cans in its path

Yeah thats how I feel, I almost feel likes its physically pounding the DT531 to an early death, such is the energy I am hearing off this thing compared to every other amp I've heard thus far. I thought the Headsave Classic with AD8620 was relatively forward (but also relatively bass light), but this makes it look tame in just about every way you can think of.
icon10.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

The MS2s are the 325 clones aren't they?

If so, then I think it might be a good, albeit maybe slightly bright combination. The RS2 should also sound great out of the Amber, but - for me, the RS1s sound a little too midrangey (YMMV of course, depends how rich you like your sound, if you know that I have now changed to Beyer DT880s that might tell you my standpoint).

Either way, i'm pretty sure that you won't be disappointed.

Apr 18, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #25 of 30
Wow! From all these descriptions you guys are making me curious to hear one of these myself, sounds like the mating with the RS-1's could be wonderful or downright awful. Too bad funds don't allow for it.
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
The MS2s are the 325 clones aren't they?

If so, then I think it might be a good, albeit maybe slightly bright combination. The RS2 should also sound great out of the Amber, but - for me, the RS1s sound a little too midrangey (YMMV of course, depends how rich you like your sound, if you know that I have now changed to Beyer DT880s that might tell you my standpoint).

Either way, i'm pretty sure that you won't be disappointed.

Yeah they are - but with the treble tamed a fair bit (compared to the original 325s from what i understand anyway!) so that's why i'm considering it.

My taste in music is rock/alt generally anyway with the odd smatterings of indie/metal thrown in for good measure so lots of energy is no bad thing as far as i'm concerned.

I've got an arcam cd73t as a cd player at the moment which i'd call fairly warm but am also looking at a) getting a DAC which could change the sound completely and b) getting an EMU 404 for my flacs - which has already been described as bright, hence my current indecision!

I am ashamedly a little disappointed with the case, the gilmore lite would look right at home amongst the rest of my hifi - if only the amber came in something similar!

But certainly i am very tempted to go with the amber if only to avoid the hassles of import fees and transformers!

Apr 18, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #27 of 30
The Amber does Symphonic Metal justice... so, it gets a thumbs up from me for that
biggrin.gif

Elnero...

...If you still love the CD1700, then the RS1 / Amber should be right up your street
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #28 of 30
Alex where are you looks like you should organise a group buy
biggrin.gif

The ANT can easily be recased in a larger hammond

IMG_0065.JPG

makes it less liable to movement due to the headphone cable.

Both my WNA and ANT Amber deserve a nice front-end with lettering etc as hammond cases only take the look so far.

Apr 18, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

I am ashamedly a little disappointed with the case, the gilmore lite would look right at home amongst the rest of my hifi - if only the amber came in something similar!

The case doesnt actually look as bad in the flesh as it does in the pics. Nevertheless, the Gilmore Lite is definitely better looking... Horses for courses though, the look of it doesnt bother me at all really. Sort of reminiscent of old Naim gear if you ask me
biggrin.gif

Quote:

But certainly i am very tempted to go with the amber if only to avoid the hassles of import fees and transformers!

Thats one reason. Another could be to support a British hifi company
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back