a-Muse-ment
Apr 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Headfiers,
Last night I was listening to some radio which normally isn't my thing. And I heard some great songs by Muse which I hadn't heard before and it was really good. The song was titled Supermassive Black Hole and it was really good and intense.

I think I am going to buy some Muse, but I am not sure of the recording quality (I didn't really listen hard when the song was on and I can only find crap quality versions on YouTube).

If the recording quality is good I am definitely going to get some of their CDs currently I am thinking about buying their "Black Holes & Revalations" album, not sure if I should get the others while I am at it. I hope someone with the records can shed some light on the recording quality.

Recommendations and comments are more than welcome!

Best,
Frederik

Apr 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 20
Another "Buy It" vote. I am a huge Muse fan!! I am not highly critical, but I enjoy the recordings....

Apr 12, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 20
I hate to break the bad news because I love Black Holes and Revelations. However it's one of the worst total brickwall masters I've heard. Don't believe me:

2407461459_9f4217689d.jpg

Absolution isn't better:
2408302042_c49cef2e4b.jpg

I don't have the older two ripped so maybe someone could jump in with that. Anyway, it's a darn shame. I like Muse, and their music would lend itself to good recording/mastering.

I'll add for comparison the MoFi Tom Sawyer by Rush:

2408332464_c1d7b2af37.jpg

That's how a waveform should look, well to an audiophile at least. What's sad is that after listening to compressed music for an extended period, a master like this will sound dull before my ears and brain acclimate. Hence, worst case scenario, one may foresee a whole generation, god forbid more, that will not accept well mastered music.

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 20
Well at least their records don't sound like they are recorded through a pillow as some do. But they are not perfect either. I think I am going to get the Black Holes & Revalations and see if the mastering bothers me. Good that you all think their albums are great definitely going to buy one now
smily_headphones1.gif

And thanks for taking the time to do a snap shots of the compression virometal!! Much appreciated!

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 20
I was down at the record store and I thought why not get the live version as well now that I was down there. It is still loud, but it ain't anywhere a total brickwall mastering
smily_headphones1.gif

I also got the original Black Holes & Revalations since it was on sale. The Audacity screen shots speaks for themselves. You can actually hear a remarkable difference. The H.A.A.R.P is still loud, but not nearly as horrible as the Black Holes & Revelations record. With the H.A.A.R.P you also get their live DVD which is awesome
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 20
That's great news about Harp! Thank you.

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
virometal, zoom in to the waveform - there's no clipping.

You do have a point, so let's zoom in and look for clips! Perhaps, I was mistaken? It's just loud and squashed as all get out:

2410742456_045052a0f5.jpg

2409911135_bb960ed145.jpg

Afraid not, it doesn't get much more obvious than the second img. Notice the time. Both img's are within the same second, tenth of a second even and from different parts of the song. I wouldn't even begin to guess the amount of clips on that song - perhaps hundreds...more?

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 20
Sorry to chime in, but my favorite Muse album would have to be Absolution. That, or their first album, which the name escapes me at this time. Fairly different sounds, though. It's like listening to a child grow up.

Enjoy,

Nylan

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 20
I concur, I heard Black Holes and Revelations, and went out and got all the studio albums on CD - OK well I put them on my Amazon wish list.. and they're pretty good live, saw them last summer @ Red Rocks - great show, well worth it. Yeah the albums could be mastered better, but this is a modern pop band - none of them sound that good (mastering wise) any more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back