A mp3 player that is good without eq?
Oct 23, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #16 of 25
iPT4G sounds much better than Cowon C2/J3/S9. 
Ipod Nano 6G (7G too?) sounds very good too, maybe 85% like Ipod Touch 4G.
Lively, neutral, natural, little warm, with lots of very good quality details.

Sony players has coloured and very warm sound, not very detailed. Also they are melodical, but i don't find them lively.

Samsung players are very good. Yp-g50 is a new "stillnotiTouch" player, but sound quality is very good.

My Q about Samsungs. What new player has similar sound to P3? Q3, Z3, G50, G70, else?:)

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

wow really? i had the impressions that cowon dont sound that good without their eq coz i saw some forumers commenting that it doesnt sound lively without the eq but is it worse than ipod touch 2g? if its better or around the same then i wont mind changing to a cowon. Anyone has compared the 2 before? without the eq.

Cowon has a cold sound, and that comes across to many people as a boring sound sig, its more about preference.
Not lively ≠ Lousy SQ

Tried my friend's iPod Touch before, not sure which ver. though, but they came across to me as slightly grainy but musical

But since your using mac, i would suggest just sticking to apple

Quote:

Sony players has coloured and very warm sound, not very detailed. Also they are melodical, but i don't find them lively.

Samsung players are very good. Yp-g50 is a new "stillnotiTouch" player, but sound quality is very good.

My Q about Samsungs. What new player has similar sound to P3? Q3, Z3, G50, G70, else?:)

Honestly speaking, not impressed with apple's SQ

Excluding those 'audiophile' players like hifiman/sflo2, I find cowon and sansa SQ to be up there

You owned the Samsung P3?? I have it, found that its eq/sq/build quality is top notch but my only gripe with it is the touchscreen problem after every few months, heading down to the service center is a PITA...its now sitting in my cupboard, very lazy to head down to the service center

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #18 of 25

Quote:

Quote:

Cowon has a cold sound, and that comes across to many people as a boring sound sig, its more about preference.
Not lively ≠ Lousy SQ

Tried my friend's iPod Touch before, not sure which ver. though, but they came across to me as slightly grainy but musical

But since your using mac, i would suggest just sticking to apple

Honestly speaking, not impressed with apple's SQ

Excluding those 'audiophile' players like hifiman/sflo2, I find cowon and sansa SQ to be up there

You owned the Samsung P3?? I have it, found that its eq/sq/build quality is top notch but my only gripe with it is the touchscreen problem after every few months, heading down to the service center is a PITA...its now sitting in my cupboard, very lazy to head down to the service center

wow now im really confused to get which and its not like i can test them all out before getting the one i want. If the nano 6g or 7g is almost the same as itouch 4g then i may get them coz Im just looking for something that works well with my Addiem, itunes, at least 8gb space and cheaper or same price as itouch. Brand wise is not a concern since what im concern is the sq as long as its better or on par with the itouch 2g, im fine with it. Need someone to help me narrow down the choices thanks!

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #19 of 25
New Apples (2010+) are much better than old.
Yeah, you will happy with Apple ADDIEMS + Apple Players.

Also Zune players sounds fantastic! They don't have parametric eq:)
Zune HD + Apple IEMs = very good sound! A was using such combo 2 weeks ago and was feeling happy.
PS
Control buttons doesn't works with Zunes.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:
New Apples (2010+) are much better than old.
Yeah, you will happy with Apple ADDIEMS + Apple Players.

Also Zune players sounds fantastic! They don't have parametric eq:)
Zune HD + Apple IEMs = very good sound! A was using such combo 2 weeks ago and was feeling happy.
PS
Control buttons doesn't works with Zunes.

Hmm i guess i would have to go back to ipods or the zune HD then. Thanks for the recommendations!

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #22 of 25
The only thing we ever seem to agree on in these threads is how much we disagree on which DAP has the best sound quality.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
The only thing we ever seem to agree on in these threads is how much we disagree on which DAP has the best sound quality.
rolleyes.gif

A better question than "which mp3 player sounds good without EQ" would be "which headphones sound good without EQ". I don't use EQ all the time, but certain headphones need some correcting. But even then, you run into the problem of everyone's ears being different......so it is a no-win situation either way....lol

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #24 of 25
I've just never heard EQ (other than the most subtle of changes, and then it doesn't seem worth the effort) that didn't throw something out with the bathwater. I'd prefer to leave it all to the professional who mixed my music - if he wants to slide dials all over the place during recording/mastering/whatever, at least he (presumably) knows what he is doing. As for preset EQ on most players - gaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #25 of 25

Quote:
A better question than "which mp3 player sounds good without EQ" would be "which headphones sound good without EQ". I don't use EQ all the time, but certain headphones need some correcting. But even then, you run into the problem of everyone's ears being different......so it is a no-win situation either way....lol

Well for my case my player broke instead of my headphones hence the question haha
Quote:
I've just never heard EQ (other than the most subtle of changes, and then it doesn't seem worth the effort) that didn't throw something out with the bathwater. I'd prefer to leave it all to the professional who mixed my music - if he wants to slide dials all over the place during recording/mastering/whatever, at least he (presumably) knows what he is doing. As for preset EQ on most players - gaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Actually this is how i enjoy my music. EQ to me is just a waste of time, it doesnt let me hear what the producers wants me to hear thats why im finding a player that is good without eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back