Jo-JS

Head-Fier
So I got a bunch of cans

Fostex t50ep
Sennheiser hd2 wired
Sony MDR 1A
Heavys h1h
Recently squired Beyer dynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm

My desktop setup is FLAC I ripped myself>topping d30 DAC>schiit magnius.

I always thought that the most money should go towards headphones as I've noticed a rather steep diminishing returns in amps and especially DACs when the source is good so I don't think it's atrocious to pair 2k$ cans with 200$ amp.. some may say I'm crazy or strongly disagree but that's how I see things

Now that we got the tldr out of the way

I'm a subtle but definite v-shape person. My favorite cans right now at the Sennheiser hd2, while their bass is a little boomy and seeps into the midrange (which is kick in the balls crazy, o had to eq it the **** down), with slight eq it's reigned in quite nicely, can't say the same about the mids... The treble is alright but had none of the Sennheiser sparkle I love.. that about sums it up.

The Sony are bassy and punchy but at the expense of everything else

The dt990 are plain terrible. I'm gonna sell them ASAP.. the bass, while it exist, is very lacking in extension, I expected it to be more kicking than punching but honestly it's just rolling over the floor.... The mids are there.. that's the only good thing I can say about these.. the highs though.. those are the most underwhelming part about this pair. it's not detailed, not expansive nor sparkly. It's dead. And no eq can revive it. It's sibilant and harsh and extremely dry and very poorly resolved from the rest of the sound..

Across my reading of many reviews I understood that my end game phones are the th900mk2, they are also sadly four times my original budget, and about twice as much as my wife will likely hang me for...

I don't care about portability, noise isolation or weight. Sound quality is above all else... Any recommendations that might satisfy me within the 1k range?

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 28
How about the Fostex TH610?

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 28
I'll never be able to live with myself knowing I settled for less... I also have no idea how they sound relative to the 900
Fair enough!

My understanding is that the drivers are basically the same but having heard neither, I can't actually speak to that. I have the Fostex THX00 Mahogany which is still the best headphone I own.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 28
The TH900 are the most overrated headphones, ever. They sound really bad, they are super fatiguing and I'm not sure how people enjoy them at their price.

This is coming from someone who enjoys some V shape headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 28
Fair enough!

My understanding is that the drivers are basically the same but having heard neither, I can't actually speak to that. I have the Fostex THX00 Mahogany which is still the best headphone I own.
I was going to say X00 Ebony which I like more than the Mahogany, which I owned.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 28
The TH900 are the most overrated headphones, ever. They sound really bad, they are super fatiguing and I'm not sure how people enjoy them at their price.

This is coming from someone who enjoys V shape headphones.
OK, you said it. I also dislike them - listed as my least favorite can several times (they look nice and are well built) but the man said he likes V shaped. Not a huge source of closed back V shaped can info myself, but the Ebony was decent and a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 28
I go Ultrasone for U/V shape. On the very cheap end is their 780 (I own) which IMO is a great V shape sound. Signature X is a more bass heavy model but if you are good with a lot of bass - it can be very fun. I've owned a lot of their models (more than any other brand) and settled into which are my favorites.

Sivga SV021 is decent for its price too - has a bump in the bass and sparkle up top but my favorite is deff Ultrasone house sound, haven't found closed headphones that I like better. A lot of people recommend the various fostex headphones but I never liked any of them much.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 28
I go Ultrasone for U/V shape. On the very cheap end is their 780 (I own) which IMO is a great V shape sound. Signature X is a more bass heavy model but if you are good with a lot of bass - it can be very fun. I've owned a lot of their models (more than any other brand) and settled into which are my favorites.

Sivga SV021 is decent for its price too - has a bump in the bass and sparkle up top but my favorite is deff Ultrasone house sound, haven't found closed headphones that I like better. A lot of people recommend the various fostex headphones but I never liked any of them much.
Their website is very unfriendly, can you give me 3 models, between 300 to 1000 and tell me what they're different in comparison to each other?

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #13 of 28
So I got a bunch of cans

Fostex t50ep
Sennheiser hd2 wired
Sony MDR 1A
Heavys h1h
Recently squired Beyer dynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm

My desktop setup is FLAC I ripped myself>topping d30 DAC>schiit magnius.

I always thought that the most money should go towards headphones as I've noticed a rather steep diminishing returns in amps and especially DACs when the source is good so I don't think it's atrocious to pair 2k$ cans with 200$ amp.. some may say I'm crazy or strongly disagree but that's how I see things

Now that we got the tldr out of the way

I'm a subtle but definite v-shape person. My favorite cans right now at the Sennheiser hd2, while their bass is a little boomy and seeps into the midrange (which is kick in the balls crazy, o had to eq it the **** down), with slight eq it's reigned in quite nicely, can't say the same about the mids... The treble is alright but had none of the Sennheiser sparkle I love.. that about sums it up.

The Sony are bassy and punchy but at the expense of everything else

The dt990 are plain terrible. I'm gonna sell them ASAP.. the bass, while it exist, is very lacking in extension, I expected it to be more kicking than punching but honestly it's just rolling over the floor.... The mids are there.. that's the only good thing I can say about these.. the highs though.. those are the most underwhelming part about this pair. it's not detailed, not expansive nor sparkly. It's dead. And no eq can revive it. It's sibilant and harsh and extremely dry and very poorly resolved from the rest of the sound..

Across my reading of many reviews I understood that my end game phones are the th900mk2, they are also sadly four times my original budget, and about twice as much as my wife will likely hang me for...

I don't care about portability, noise isolation or weight. Sound quality is above all else... Any recommendations that might satisfy me within the 1k range?
Definitely have a look at lsa hp 2 , they sound better then th 900 and cost way less . The only problem is very long (100 hrs) burning in time but after that they sound phenomenal ....

Attachments

• 0716230024b_HDR.jpg
    0716230024b_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 13, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 28
Definitely have a look at lsa hp 2 , they sound better then th 900 and cost way less . The only problem is very long (100 hrs) burning in time but after that they sound phenomenal ....
Thanks for the recc! I'll probably but second have so burn in won't be necessary I hope. Can you describe their sound please?

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 28
Their website is very unfriendly, can you give me 3 models, between 300 to 1000 and tell me what they're different in comparison to each other?
780 - V shape, mids are scooped, exciting.
Signature X - Very bass heavy, warmer tilt, fun sound, more mids than 780 and smoother treble.
Signature Natural - (Noticeably Fast Titanium drivers, great mids, house sound but very detailed, crisp, and precise, great bass definition, 3D Stage - my favorite.)

I've owned all of below, for reference (Ultrasone is my favorite):

Ultrasone: Signature DXP, Signature Studio, Signature DJ, Signature Master, HFI 780, HFI 2200, HFi 580, Pro 900, Pro750, Pro 2900, Pro 2500, Performance 840, 860, 880, DJ1 Pro, Edition 9, Edition 5, Edition 11, Edition 8 EX, Edition 8 Ruthenium, Edition 8 Carbon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back