A Mooview: Bolder Power Cord
Sep 13, 2001 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

MooGoesTheCow

500+ MOOOderator: Needs a better MOOOOmate
For awhile now, I have been looking for an inexpensive power cord to replace the stock cord for my cdp. I wanted something introductory, to see for myself if aftermarket power cords were a load of bull. If anything, in the worst case scenario I would simply have another fat cord to look nice in my system.

I went for a no-nonsense cable from The Bolder Cable Co.
It consists of a Belden 14 gauge cable, a WATTGATE IEC, and a Marinco Hospital Grade Plug, treated w/ Caig ProGold. It is sheathed in a tough black (nylon?) braided jacket. Very nice build quality and high quality components for $60. Wayne, the owner, can't possibly be making much profit from this cable. And talk about service! I ordered two of them on Tuesday Sept 4, and Wayne built them that evening and shipped em off the very next day!

But the sound, you say...be patient.

First a little philosophy of mine. I believe when getting a new audio component, may it be cable, component, or accessory, it should make a noticible difference immediately...doesn't matter if the difference is for the worse or better. The only criteria being that it must sound different. Because if I hear no difference, what the hell's the point? I could buy a cable, use it for a year, hearing no difference from the previous cable, getting no extra happiness whatsoever. And yeah, I could eventually swap the new cable for the old one and realize, hey the new one sounds so much better...it makes the old cable sound like crap. But it wouldn't matter since I didn't hear anything different upon installation.

I personally have never heard a difference in cables before...always having just the correct number of ic's and power cords to get the job done. I did not know what to expect. I certainly did not expect anything amazing.

And so I turn on my Meridian w/ stock cord, put in my etys, get into a comfy chair, and listen. The cd in rotation: Rufus Wainwright's self titled album, as I am in a male vocal mood for some reason (and outside of opera, this is probably the only one I've got). It sounds great. The same as the last time. I run through the first few tracks a couple times. Alrightie, then I unplug the stock cord and replace it w/ the Bolder. Repeat process. Hmm. The sound is different. Could just be my imagination, but I don't have much of an imagination to begin with, so probably not. The bass seems more present, but the sound is, well, weird. Imbalanced slightly. Still hard to put my finger on. I swap cords a couple times and, yeah, there is a difference. Cool. I let the cable burn in over the next few days, maybe 6-7 hrs each day, both listening and letting it play by itself. The sound gradually shifts toward the bright end, like Wayne said it would in his email. I let it Grado 325 itself for awhile more and then things settled down. The sound balanced itself out, and I could tell the break-in process was past puberty.

I'm not experienced in describing the sound in audiophile lingo, so I will do it in my own descriptive way. This sounds ****ing awesome. No, for real. The bass isn't really any deeper, and the treble isn't really more extended. The midrange isn't really more detailed. Yet everything just sounds better. Clearer, like cleaning my eyeglasses with industrial strength lens cleaner. More dynamic. Rufus' drawl seems more real, with more character and feeling. The honkytonk piano is more honky, if you know what I mean. I don't know how a $60 power cable can do this, but, hey, it works. I swapped the stock with the Bolder over and over again this evening, and repeatedly heard the difference. It's not a change like moving from my panasonic pcdp to the mooridian, but it's a noticible, very beneficial change. It's clearly more natural than the stock. Contrastingly, the stock is a little harsh and edgy, less full...dare I say thin sounding, although that might be going too far.

Normally when you have such a wonderful setup that I am so fortunate to have, it takes more and more $$$ to make a minimal improvement. So for something that costs only $60 to make a difference, it puts a big smile on my face. Bargains do exist in the world.

Recomoooonded!

Associated Equipment:
Meridian 586 dvd player
McCormack Micro Integrated Drive
Etymotic ER4P w/ 4S adapter
DH Labs Interconnects

Sep 13, 2001 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 40
dammit, now I have to get another component when I make my home system! power cords, for God's sake!
wink.gif
Man, Jude was right after all...

Hey, pretty.
19364b.jpg

Sep 13, 2001 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 40
Hm nice review! I really want to get a cable now... for this reason and because for some strange reason, when I cleaned my power cord on my amp (with isopropyl alchohol) I actually heard some difference, and I wasn't expecting it.

Sep 13, 2001 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 40
Nice review, Moo! But I don't buy your claim of not having an imagination... I mean, come on, look at what you chose as your name! However, I will have to buy one of those power cables after reading this.

Sep 13, 2001 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 40
Hmm just curious, would there be any adverse affects if you tried burning in a power cord on something like, say, a computer? Anyone know?

Sep 13, 2001 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 40
was that a joke?!
eek.gif

I never know what's happening when "tweakers" get together.....

Sep 13, 2001 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 40
Of course he was joking... everybody knows you only get that result if your computer runs Linux.

Sep 13, 2001 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 40
I understand Windows works real well w/ blues(creenofdeath).

Sep 13, 2001 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 40
you guys are just......sad......

Sep 13, 2001 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 40
Grrrr thats the last time I post a stupid question
wink.gif

(I know the answer, the computer will blow the powercord up so I won't do it)

Sep 13, 2001 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 40
Ah wave my prahvate parts at your auntie!

uh...everyone's seen Monty Python's search for the holy grail, right?
biggrin.gif

Can we get back to power cables now?

Sep 14, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #15 of 40
How about this high end Power cord? Hey, here's some nice pics, and yes even pics of the inside!!!

[size=medium]PS Audio Limited Edition Ultimate Lab Cable[/size]
27_2.jpg

Pic of the inside of the box :
27_1.jpg

Pic of the inside of the cable itself:
7-add6Large.jpg

Specifications:
Unique Tri-axial shielding
Up to 40 DB of common-mode and differential noise reduction on the AC-line
Maximum energy storage and quickest current delivery of any AC power cable on the market
Limited Edition serial numbered mirror polished chassis in Midnight blue.
Built in Surge-Suppression and Spike-Protection to guard against over voltage, lightning and power surges
Flexible open weave braid applied to entire length of cable reduces static charge
Optimized direct connection circuitry making this the Ultimate design of our Ultimate Outlet Circuitry.
Built in isolation base

Pricing for the Lab Cable is based on a per cable, terminated price:
2 meter* length - list price $1395
3 meter* length - list price $1595
* (Length does not include 9" Ultimate Outlet circuitry chassis and AC connectors, so they are slightly longer than specified)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back