A Moment of Clarity, a superb metal guitar progression
Aug 30, 2012 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

adevriesc

New Head-Fier
As a disclaimer, I am not a metal head. However, some of the guitar riffs make my heart pound.

The most recent piece that enthralled me was "A Moment of Clarity" by Death, the band that more or less invented the Death Metal genre.

Even with my Grado SR80s out of the picture and my new Rain IEMs on the way, my crappy old Sony earbuds scream with the guitar at 2:57 in the song... I can't wait to fix my Grados and get my Rains. That single part makes the horrid vocals and other idiosyncrasies melt away.

If metal guitar isn't your thing, that's aight too.

I'm new here, and it's a pleasure to be on the forums.

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 6
I entirely agree about the quality of Death's vocals. However, guttural vocals aren't something that I love. If I do listen to them, I prefer them deeper and more technical (early Deicide and Devourment).

I was just expressing a personal preference, not beating up on the band. =P I enjoy the band regardless of their vocal technique... Their guitar presence! I can't get enough of it. Voice of the Soul is my other love affair from The Sound of Perseverance.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
As far as that type of music goes, Death has some of the best vocals. Seriously the vast majority of bands singers can't pull that kind of thing off at all. I think Death had two singers though.

As someone who was very into extreme metal (and punk) in the late 80's/early 90's, I have to correct you - unless they added another vocalist later, Chuck Schuldiner (RIP) was the only singer.

I'd also take issue that Death invented the DM genre - they were definitely part of the American driving force but look to Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Venom, Possessed etc for true forefathers.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Okay. Maybe it would be more correct if I said Death popularized the genre?

Mmm, possibly. They certainly became more technical with their second album onwards, which probably did attract more attention to the genre.

One could argue forever about the "first" of any genre but usually there are more than one band influenced by similar things and evolving in similar ways...Possessed, Mantas/Death, Funeral Bitch/Master, Repulsion, Sepultura etc etc were all moving toward a similar sound - to argue who defined that sound really is a moot point.

I personally think that Death are often given that mantle simply because a) they called themselves "Death"! and b) Chuck Schildiner's untimely passing left a lot of affection for him.

Incidentally, I saw Death live, supporting Kreator, in Glasgow and Edinburgh in the early 90's. Chuck wasn't touring due to "personal problems"; his place taken by (IIRC) a roadie. Big disappointment
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back