A Minidisc User Seeking Alternatives: Is IPOD worth it as as a WAV or AIFF Player?
Nov 14, 2003 at 3:06 PM Post #16 of 26
I have a 2003 - 30GB model and I don't get the pause in music you guys are describing. There's a 22 minute track that I've listened to a number of times and it plays uninterrupted every time.

Nov 14, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 26
Whoops, I didn't read your posts carefully enough. You're right it's an mp3 file
redface.gif

Nov 14, 2003 at 3:52 PM Post #20 of 26
Well that's the nail in the coffin as far as IPOD (and other HD competitors) is concerned. Thanks for the input guys - tremendous info.

So if a HD player won't work for jogging, what's the BEST SOUNDING flash player that uses a decent codec (ie doesn't force you to use MP3). I'm looking for something that can match the power and sound quality of the Sharp DR7 minidisc - to be used with ER-6 and KSC-35.

Nov 14, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #21 of 26
BTW, the WAV/AIFF buffer pause exists on the 1st gen also and gets mentioned here every once in a while. From what I understand the problem isn't there with the 3rd gen and likely why the Stereophile review didn't mention it.

Nov 14, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #22 of 26
Well what I would like to hear news or rumors about
are software or firmware upgrades that could solve this problem.

Say an option in the iPod settings like the energy saver settings
in the mac and power options for the pc, which would
allow me to waste power. I only want get dropout
free playback in a powered sitiuation (like a concert)

on the road in battery mode i can handle a pause
as just a wonderful part of the post hifi world we all
now have to live in.

Nov 14, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 26
I didn't realise this problem existed until this thread. Thanks guys. It doesn't really bother me. Yes, through my stereo I could hear a nice difference between the MP3s and the AIFF (Mainly depth of image, soundstage) but AIFF would also quickly chew up disc and battery space. It was just on a whim that I loaded an AIFF onto the iPod. I think 99 per cent of the time, given the way I'm using the iPod (portable and as an MP3 storage unit) that the AIFF "skip" flaw is not all that bothersome - although, jrain, as you say, an option to override the battery save mode would be nice. A bigger buffer of, say, five minutes would have been a lot more realistic, too, Apple!
mad.gif

Nov 14, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by tmesis
I'm sorry, but for a jogger in need of seamless playback, a NetMD still seems to be the best solution.

Yeah, that's the scary conclusing I'm coming to at this point.

You'd think that by now *someone* would actually put together an audiophile or sound-quality focused digital player. But then again, looking at the PCDP market, I guess I should have seen this coming.

I think NetMD is a total ripoff, given its intentionally crippled nature, but if none of the competition is willing to put out anything better then I just might go for that.

Nov 15, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #26 of 26
I bought every type of portable there is PCDP, flash, iPod, MD and for jogging MD was the winner for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back