A mic for my ATH-AD700
Jun 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LordZ

New Head-Fier
I did a lot of searching and the only recommendation I saw(and I saw it mentioned quite a lot of times) was the Zalman clipon. I have to say, I looked at the reviews and I don't like the sound of it. It seems like it would pick up every little noise in my room. My Plantronics headset has a mic like that already(I get some lovely feedback, if I don't turn down the mic sensitivity a lot, which causes me to have to raise my voice to be heard). My cheap $20 headset has the perfect mic, it picks up my voice clearly and nothing else. Unfortunately, the headset is absolutely uncomfortable, I can't stand it. Also, I'd rather wear my AD700 for various reasons.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a mic where people will hear me and not my keyboard and computer fans and whatever other noise is nearby? I don't care what kind of mic it is. It just has to be able to capture my voice and only my voice. I especially don't want the sounds leaking out of my AD700 feeding back into the mic. Also, I should note that I'm not a loud speaker, so a mic that can actually get close to my mouth is a good idea.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 11
The Zalman mic works perfectly for me. I just clip it about a foot down the cable from the cups, and run the cable over this banana holder I use as a headphone holder. The only thing it picks up other than my voice is my keyboard (which is a Model M, so it's loud anyways).

It shouldn't be picking up fan noise, unless you've got some 40 dB monsters in your case, or a house fan blowing at your mic.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 11
My computer has quite a lot of large fans. The case is so tall that it's probably between 2-3' from my head to the fan at the top of the case.

I already have a mic sitting on my monitor that doesn't really pick up background noise but I have to raise my voice quite a bit to be heard due to the distance between my head and the mic.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zalman mic works perfectly for me. I just clip it about a foot down the cable from the cups, and run the cable over this banana holder I use as a headphone holder. The only thing it picks up other than my voice is my keyboard (which is a Model M, so it's loud anyways).

It shouldn't be picking up fan noise, unless you've got some 40 dB monsters in your case, or a house fan blowing at your mic.

x2

I did this with my AD500.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 11
I would like some more suggestions also, I plan on getting the AD700 and will need a mic that pics up just my voice (for the most part some BG noise wont kill me (or the other people))

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the recommendation but I would have a difficult time finding a place to put that where I wouldn't have to be leaning over to talk into it.

The ideal mic would be on that clamps onto my headphones or the cord and sticks out and can be flexed towards my mouth. That way I could speak normally and not have to worry about background noise.

I saw something like that on the Audio-technica site but it cost more than my headphones and it was on it's own headband.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah true. I had the DT770's at one point and considered doing what these guys did; you could try a variation of it. Might need a bit of tinkering and/or ugly temp. solution to attach the mic to your AD700.

The ultimate gaming headset? (Beyerdynamic DT 770 microphone mod) - [H]ard|Forum

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...ic-mod-297813/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dt7...5/#post4027549

There's some links to Dealxtreme for the parts in the 3rd post, cheap enough to try out for the heck of it @ $5. Hmm, come to think of it, I think I'm going to grab it as well...lol

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the info, I might have to try that out myself. I could probably attach it to the headphone cord just below the speaker with electrical tape and it shouldn't look too terrible and it should work fine. Well, it's worth a try at least.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 11
I got the mic and tied it on with wire(didn't like the idea of using tape).

It seems to work fine but the mic got squished by the way dealextreme bent the package to fit it in an envelope. So, the padding is half tore up. =(

It picks up background noise but not badly. With a little volume tweaking you can pretty much eliminate background noise. I'd like to find some foam and try adding some more padding since the padding on it is already half torn up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back