A MDR-V700DJ revelation!
Nov 12, 2001 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DesBen

100+ Head-Fier
I was in my roommate's room and he happened to have a good track on one of his deck (turntable). I figured I needed a break, so I put on the headphones and started playing it. Now, you have to understand the setup: 2 turntables hooked up to a DJ mixer. Those mixers have a cross-fader to do the mix, but also volume control and a 3-band equalizer for each turntable. Those equalizers go from -32dB to 12dB and are divided as Bass/Mid/High. Why -32dB? Well, for instance, you could cut the mid and high of a song, and use its bass line as part of another song. Or the DJ could use it to cut the bass line from one record while mixing in a new track and half-way through the mix, switch the 2 bass lines, for a killer mix (if done right
biggrin.gif

Anyway, enough of that DJ stuff. Of course, the headphones that completed the set were the well-known Sony MDR-V700DJ. Unhappy with the way they presented the song, I started playing with the equalizer and here's what I was left with when I thought they started sounding pretty good: bass unchanged at 0dB, mid unchanged at 0dB and high boosted by 12dB. Make of this what you will.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes, I own a pair of those "bright" V6
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 20
All I can say about the Sony MDR-V700DJs is: If all you need is a treble boost in order for those cans to sound "good", then good for you!
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 20
Hey, you're making fun of me
mad.gif
mad.gif
tongue.gif

The V700 are DJ headphones, and very good ones. Many many DJs will agree. They are not for listening to music. That's all there is to it.

Nov 12, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by DesBen
The V700 are DJ headphones, and very good ones. Many many DJs will agree. They are not for listening to music. That's all there is to it.

That's right - there are better choices for listening to music than those V700DJs (not that the V700DJs are particularly horrible for listening to music - they're just mediocre at that), such as my Senn 590s and *choke, choke* Sony MDR-V6s/MDR-7506s.

Nov 13, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 20
heh
i wouldn't say 7506/v6 they are old and proven to be one of the best in the industry, don't mock them by putting the comparitively to the v700 nor the bionecrap 590

the 590's and the v700's aren't even what I would say musical at all

v700/v900 Really do SUCK, you know
they sound mid-bassy grainy midrange no treble'd crap

I mean if you are talking about well they are functional

well the tech 1200's are way better
I mean it has very expanded bass, but it's way way deeper than the v700's, and it's even more functional than the V700
it has swinging arms, and is even waterproof

Nov 13, 2001 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 20
"I thought the DJ's were using music. So what are they listening to, on those headphones??"

Trance/Dance/Techno/Rap DJs listen for the bass kick. That's the main thing most of them use to sync up records to the same speed (beatmatch).

Nov 13, 2001 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 20
That very last post is the REAL me! In fact, my REAL criteria of buying headphones is comfort and convenience first, style second, sound quality last.

Nov 13, 2001 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
I thought the DJ's were using music. So what are they listening to, on those headphones??

LOL!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2001 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 20
Heheheh, Gluegun, my f%cking sarcasm has gotten the best of me - I should have called my sarcasm a "piece of crap"!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back