A lot of bass and a lot of highs?
May 9, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
mike... this guy is what we would like to refer to as an EQ-freak. ear drum shattering highs and thundering bass is typical of EQ-freaks. Just suggest the V6 and get it over with. It's about the closest thing to EQ-freak perfection that I can think of.

BUSTED! I've been caught
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the KSC35's yet.... do they lack the super high's or what?

The V6's are huge. I'm looking for something more along this size:

px100.jpg

May 9, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #17 of 63
I posted the suggestion of the Grado SR80's before the EQFreak comments. I think the 80's have excellent bass and clear high trebles. But if he's going for "eq'd" I guess that rules them out. Koss used to make a set of headphones that I think are now only sold in computer grey called the Mac-5. I think those had pretty exxagerated bass.

May 9, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by cscott23
I knew I was a freak...I just didn't know what kind.

You guys are purists.

Welcome to the EQ freak club. I was in denial for a while until I started reading this forum and talking to people. I'm definately an EQ freak... the low lows and the high high's of my EQ's always seem to be cranked up. I figure if the headphones do most of the work for me already, it'll save stress on my EQ
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #21 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by cscott23
I'll through the ATH-A900's into the fray.

I don't agree... Yes, the A900s have a clear (or bright, depending how you read into it) treble but their bass to my ears isn't really that much to write home about compared to other 'phones around, even with that coveted 'DADS' system... goes deep, but has no guts / slam

Just IMO of course
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #22 of 63
To each their own but....the midrange is so important. Why wouldn't you want to match it with the bass and treble?

Bloated bass gets annoying and bloated treble gives me a headache.

-Chad

May 9, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 63
CD3000
DT770

May 10, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
mike... this guy is what we would like to refer to as an EQ-freak. ear drum shattering highs and thundering bass is typical of EQ-freaks. Just suggest the V6 and get it over with. It's about the closest thing to EQ-freak perfection that I can think of.

you got me! i love messing around with my iriver equalizer. what about a headphone that can do what the v6 do but is also portable?

May 10, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #27 of 63
This is head-fi: headphone fidelity. Most people here are interested in accurate reproduction of music and as neutral components that can found while others are simply looking for more enjoyment out of their music. I think there's no reason that both groups can't get along. It's just that there's more of the audiophile type than the stock phone using, turn it to ear-bleeding volumes with treble and bass boost on max types
wink.gif

The V6 looks small and portable enough to me. If you don't want full-size phones though Portapros would work well enough I suppose. Those are sort of all bass and no highs though
tongue.gif
You really have no idea what huge is, st5150. Look at a picture of CD3000's compared to V6's, then you will have some sort of idea
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
I did, but I cannot recommend it for accuracy. The D-77 is far more accurate. The lower treble is prominent and the bass is exaggerated.

he asked for mind numbing bass and blistering highs... that's the V6. Strong bass and very painful treble. Buy those and you'll be finished.

and for EQ-freaks, the V6s are about as portable as you're going to get.

May 10, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #30 of 63
I've seen it mentioned around here many times how the music should be played neutral and only hear "what's there" so EQs are looked down upon, even bass and treble controls for that matter.

However, I fail to see the logic in this entirely. Depending on your equipment it's going to excel at some things and not excel at others. Factor in that music is recorded in varying qualities and manners and some stuff is bound to not sound good on an unadjusted system.

An EQ or bass/treble controls let you tweak the music just enough to get it in that "preference range". It's all ends up being subjective at some point, doesn't it?

In addition, anyone who has been to a rock concert knows that the vast majority of rock has deep bass you can feel. Why wouldn't a rock listener want that same sound reproduced in their personal listening environment?

I feel that deep deep tight bass is one of the hallmarks of a good quality system. No cheap systems have that real good deep tight bass that I really like and when you hear it reproduced it can be stunning.

Just my take...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back