A lo-cost HT-supply true transformer-coupled tube headphone amplifier
Oct 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #31 of 108
Glad to hear your feeling better...

Quote:
Sorry, I went downhill again a bit with the chest infection, but should be finished tonight~tomorrow. Had a routine follow-up chest x-ray a couple of days ago tho', still in the clear with the big C. 
normal_smile .gif

w

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #32 of 108
Its interesting that this effort has silenced many of the naysayers - way to go, waki. Keep the faith.   
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #34 of 108
Quote:
Its interesting that this effort has silenced many of the naysayers - way to go, waki. Keep the faith.   
wink.gif

As long as he foregoes with the challenges, dares, and bets on how to run a business and determine costs and price, and instead - actually build something, then yes.  This is a DIY forum and we're going to watch, help if necessary, and see if he's really come up with something.

Not sure I understand why those differences are hard to comprehend.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #35 of 108
Quote:
As long as he foregoes with the challenges, dares, and bets on how to run a business and determine costs and price, and instead - actually build something, then yes.  This is a DIY forum and we're going to watch, help if necessary, and see if he's really come up with something.

Not sure I understand why those differences are hard to comprehend.

Point taken, but there was a point where anything he typed was seen as a challenge - I'll leave it there. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #36 of 108
Avro_Arrow, thanks for the good wishes.

estreeter, thanks for your continued support and positive attitude.

Just sorting out some final issues with the safety ground. Trying to find a suitable star washer to bite into the alu. chassis in my junk. 

w

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #39 of 108
Quote:
Only one tube lit. Swapped them. LT is OK so it's the tube. Have to dig out another one.

w

Fantastic stuff - I would consider any such effort where I didnt electrocute myself to be a win, but clearly you've done this sort of thing before.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #42 of 108
Quote:

Fantastic stuff - I would consider any such effort where I didnt electrocute myself to be a win, but clearly you've done this sort of thing before.  
biggrin.gif

Aw but if you do it enough times, you can do the lightbulb trick like Uncle Fester
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #43 of 108
I remembered why I like solid state so much, I'm terrified of this bloody thing. It's a bit of deja vu, the last time I felt like this was learning to hover a large model heli. You start out thinking 'a nice harmless little hobby' and you end up thinking 'why am I standing 10 feet from a barely-controlled flying chainsaw?' Tube amplifier design - the original extreme sport.

Thanks, Kim, elliottstudio.

Armaegis, are you clairvoyant? How did you know that I look like Uncle Fester?

Everybody, please bear with me, I have to wait a month between blood tests and they won't adjust my thyroxine dose until they see the levels, right at the moment I feel too exhausted to do very much at one go, just a couple of weeks ago I was hyper. Still, at least it's not life threatening, unlike this amplifier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed that the first time I swapped the tubes, the lit one seemed to move. I know though, that tubes don't always show much light, although these are of identical manufacture. I checked all the tubes with an independent LV lab. supply with 1A out. They all showed a visible glow. 'Course this isn't a trick that's open to everybody, but when you're debugging something you have to use any little clue that you can get. It only occurred to me that I could do this while walking the dogs, it's best in these circumstances though not to rush at things and give yourself a chance for ideas to come to you.

Originally I drew this:-

...but I actually built this...

...which seemed a reasonable way to save 2 diodes and a slight simplification. Now I'm not so sure. I don't see any theoretical reason why it should be a problem, but I'm fairly sure that only one random LT supply at a time is working properly, so I'm going to revert to the first arrangement. Since it's all built point-to-point, it's a bit of a fiddle though.

Here's what I had to do to get enough room with this little chassis.

I'd have liked to keep the choke on the inside, but it simply wasn't possible given the other parts that needed to be fitted, and apart from slightly spoiling the simple appearance, it's actually better in electrical terms, it's further away from the OPTs and particularly the PT.

At least I didn't have to drill any more holes, I was able to use the existing ones.

The grounding system is dual star. The noisy star is located at the junction of the 220u caps. This was prewired. Wherever possible soldered joints are shrink-wrapped. Power grounds such as the CCSs are returned to the noisy star. I'm not too keen on earth-follows-signal.

Components are cable-tied to self-adhesive tie-mounts, or glued with a hot glue gun. The HT bridge rectifier is bolted to the chassis, as are the LT regulators. The 10k anode load resistors are 10W, they only dissipate 1W, but a close watch will be kept on them during the first few hours of running. The classic style of turret-board + right-angle dressing simply wasn't achievable in this space.

The quiet star is located at the output jack. Signal grounds are returned to the quiet star. A single wire joins the stars.

w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back