A little rant about USPS' price increase..
May 19, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
1/2 dollar (I know it's only $.41) to send one thin envelope is a lot. 4 envelopes is a price of pizza. It's going up faster than cable. Have I been know to drink a cup of $1.89 cup of coffee, which is a lot of money for coffee. Yes. Am I willing to spend $2,000 on a black box that has glass tubes sticking out of the top that glow orange and makes funny sounds after touching a bunch of wires. Yes. But if we rationilized evrything like that, than we wouldn't be able to afford anything. There are certain staples in our lives, that keep things going at an expected rate. Milk, bread, and a postage stamp need to stay as reasonable as possible for life to sustain itself.

ErnDiggity covered it quite well saying it's in-line with inflation but I find this funny. Letters are too expensive but coffee isn't!
etysmile.gif
One cup of coffee could get you a pizza. The $2000 amplifier could get you 1000! Heck, FOUR letters? That's the amount of what the 45% people said they sent in a month in that poll we just had! 81% of them were in the 0-5 range, sending five letters at $2.05 a month is hardly a staple especially if you can afford a $2k amp.

Biker, prices in general rise due to inflation. I'm not sure about you but when I was a kid, a slice used to be a $1.35, now it's $1.75. A fare through the subway used to be a $1.25, it's now $2. That's seventy-five cents in about ten years. That's much greater than the stamp. 39 to 41 cents, you go nuts about. Knowing that, I wonder how you were acting when the fare was raised to $2 from a $1.50. Assuming you even take the subway.

Edit: Heck, you're 47, you should more than likely know this better than me.

By the way, one can say riding the MTA is a staple if someone doesn't own a car. This definitely holds more prevalence than the stamp since the person needs to get to work without sweating (bosses I believe don't like that plus the smell) along the way biking or walking. I can't imagine walking from where I live across one of the bridges to Manhattan. Plus, it'd take longer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Gas was $2/gallon last October just before elections and the price of a stamp was $0.39.

I don't understand how this reply changes what Erndiggity said. Could you explain what you're trying to correlate?

Edit: Or maybe you weren't trying to, oopsie. IIRC, it was around $2.50 in my area last fall and yes the stamp was 39 cents at the time as well!

Anyway, with the news that refineries been having problems and need to cut down refining for maintenance as well as there aren't enough refineries in the first place, and with people continue to consume gas at the same or higher rate (not to mention summer is coming soon), gas prices will continue to rise.

May 19, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shurado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, with the news that refineries been having problems and need to cut down refining for maintenance as well as there aren't enough refineries in the first place, and with people continue to consume gas at the same or higher rate (not to mention summer is coming soon), gas prices will continue to rise.

Exxon Mobil openly admitted that they made a profit that equated to $13000 per minute in 2006. We are being ripped off.

And my point about the coffee and the $2000 amp is...if everything rose at the same rate as stamps and gas, we wouldn't be able to afford anything. Certain essentials must stay low.

May 19, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exxon Mobil openly admitted that they made a profit that equated to $13000 per minute in 2006. We are being ripped off.

Yes, I remembered the news about their record breaking profits. It's one more factor into this debacle. I think we should write a letter (or e-mail, it'd definitely fit your budget
wink.gif
) to our congressmen and senators.

Heck, I wished I had the cash to invest in oil features, people are making a huge dime out of it.

Quote:

And my point about the coffee and the $2000 amp is...if everything rose at the same rate as stamps and gas, we wouldn't be able to afford anything. Certain essentials must stay low.

I'd be glad if milk only rose two cents in a couple years because milk has actually rose much higher than that. Not that I drink milk anymore anyway.
etysmile.gif

May 19, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

There's an interesting event, in the Chinese proverbial sense, occurring as I type this; I speak of course of Peak Oil. Some of my consulting work was with the oil & petrochemicals industry, specifically, a stint with Esso, a subsidiary of Exxon Mobil. It has been known in the oil business for quite some time now that oil is running out, and peak production will be reached right about now. Furthermore, the best oil, light sweet crude has already been depleted and its production is already in decline.

Refineries are now being forced to process intermediate and sour crudes, something they were never meant to process. The vast majority of refineries in the US were built to process light sweet crude, that is oil with little to no sulphur content and a relatively low viscosity. This oil as I mentioned is running out, and refineries are now being forced to take lower grades of crude which are thicker and contain moderate to large amounts of sulphur and other undesirable chemicals. Processing these grades of oil leads to excessive equipment wear & breakdowns, which is why we're seeing so many refinery shutdowns and fires recently.

As for why Exxon Mobil and the rest of the Big 4 have been so profitable of late, they are what is known as vertically integrated companies; they seach for oil, pump the oil, refine the oil, and transport the finished products all the way to the consumer's gas tanks. They make a profit at every single step, a profit which is largely determined by the price of crude and the gasoline & heating oil futures price on NYMEX. Those prices were all at record highs last year, and this coming summer will be even worse. Buy some oil & gasoline futures, you will thank me come Christmas.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #50 of 59
HOLY CRAP. $20.55 to ship an 8-pound 15 x 12 x 4 package via Priority Mail? Eat bubble wrap and die, USPS!

I always include shipping in my prices. Maybe that's not such a good idea anymore...

P.S. I recently sent a 16-pound package of larger dimensions than the above package using Priority Mail with insurance for about $15.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #51 of 59
I sell some stuff on eBay and I have to charge more for shipping now. It is still quite convenient to have the postal man pickup my packages at my house. I don't have to drive out to get them mailed anymore.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

HOLY CRAP. $20.55 to ship an 8-pound 15 x 12 x 4 package via Priority Mail? Eat bubble wrap and die, USPS!

I always include shipping in my prices. Maybe that's not such a good idea anymore...

P.S. I recently sent a 16-pound package of larger dimensions than the above package using Priority Mail with insurance for about $15.

Yep....they are horrible now. Shipping charge is not so bad but their insurance add on is a pure ripped off and is a bit*h to claim. I am bigger fan of FedEX recently as their ground service is quite good and the add on insurance (declared value) is very reasonable. You get your money worth if you ship FedEX ground + insurance. Priority mail used to be quite good but now it is quite ridiculous.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #53 of 59
Quote:

Well if its any consolation, health insurance premiums seem to be going up way more then inflation
wink.gif
I'm a healthy young person, but my premium always goes up $30 a month every single year.
blink.gif
And when I'm old enough to really need it, insurance companies have the right to deny coverage because I am sick.....how messed up is that??

Well at least I'll try to live a healthier lifestyle since I need to save my money and not get those expensive lattes or drinks
biggrin.gif

As far as USPS's prices....well at least in my area they are better then Fedex and UPS still: I know that's not saying much because all carriers suck. USPS is the only shipment I've used that a package gets to the west coast in 2 days (and that's regular priority without insurance or anything). Fedex and UPS takes 5 days and is more expensive. And I've found I can't use UPS for shipping to NC at all: they always manage to lose the package and it winds up taking 2 weeks to ship a package...tracking number and all...it's less hassle for me to freeking find the time to drive it myself!!!! Or use USPS: they're the most reliable in my area at least.

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #54 of 59
Have no fear people. I stuffed the inner box from my package into a flat-rate box I found in a closet at work.

Next time I'm going to put 70 pounds of rocks in there. I propose that we all mail rocks and overload the system with requests for pickup until the post office lets us mail things cheaply in overstuffed boxes again. We'll ride in on a sea of peanuts and reclaim our former glory!

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #55 of 59
The bakery I go to each morning said their costs are going up 20% and they have no choice but to raise the prices.

Everyone wants a raise and feel they deserve it but are then surprised when costs go up?

Economics is just common sense- which is sorely lacking in the world today.

Mitch

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bakery I go to each morning said their costs are going up 20% and they have no choice but to raise the prices.

Everyone wants a raise and feel they deserve it but are then surprised when costs go up?

Economics is just common sense- which is sorely lacking in the world today.

Mitch

I don't know when USPS last hiked their rates on packages. But if you compare a 100% rate increase to my average salary increase of 4% a year (excluding job changes), I sure hope it was 25 years ago.

If your bakery raises the price of your elephant ear from $1.29 to $1.55 and you complain you're probably an idiot. If your bakery raises the price from $1.29 to $2.58 and you don't complain, well...

Economics is not, in my opinion, reducible to simple common sense. It sports a number of conflicting theories, including the one about differing rates of price and wage increases having a significant impact on the long-term picture.

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #57 of 59
Did anyone stock up on the 'Forever' stamps? Should be interesting to see if they keep their word on that 5 or 10 years down the road.

BTW, what kind of pizza are you buying for $2? I can't buy a frozen tombstone for less than $4. Oh, and those Totino's don't qualify as pizza.

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone stock up on the 'Forever' stamps?

they'll have to keep their word on it...but most people don't even understand the concept of 'forever stamps'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back