A little question regarding converting wav to mp3 and back to wav
Aug 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
when encoding wav to mp3,information is being removed from the file and as a result the file size is greatly reduced.   and like the saying goes...you can't recover that information.

so far so good.  but what happens when i try to convert the mp3 back to wav??  does the file size return to big wav size?  and if it does..how exactly?   if that information is lost as a result of the mp3 encoding process than how can it be recovered?

hope i got the question right :)

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 4
Yes, 16/44.1 WAV files are always 1411kbps. It just fills all the missing info with empty info as far as I know. It's not the same information.

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
when encoding wav to mp3,information is being removed from the file and as a result the file size is greatly reduced.   and like the saying goes...you can't recover that information.

so far so good.  but what happens when i try to convert the mp3 back to wav??  does the file size return to big wav size?  and if it does..how exactly?   if that information is lost as a result of the mp3 encoding process than how can it be recovered?

hope i got the question right :)

Quote:
Yes, 16/44.1 WAV files are always 1411kbps. It just fills all the missing info with empty info as far as I know. It's not the same information.

an excellent description of the process.....http://oreilly.com/catalog/mp3/chapter/ch02.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back