A Little Help Please
Dec 13, 2005 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Superman07

New Head-Fier
Hello all. Wish I could say this post was for me, but alas it is not. I have been tasked by the mother unit to locate a product for the father unit for the upcoming holidays.

Input = Saw add for Bose Noise Cancelling, would like

Output w/ Interpretation by me = Bose overpriced for product, seek other

I did a little research on here and looked on some websites (Senn)...was leaning towards the Seen HD580s, but was a little confused. I saw them referenced on here for a good price (50% below MSRP?), but the store I just went to that had them in stock was selling them at about 10% below MSRP (sale). The sales person also told me they are great quality, but they are very soft in sound and are designed to be run with a headphone amp. Sales gimmick, or true statement?!

Few things I do know:

- Bose were direct because of word of mouth and advertising
- Noise cancelling is not a sought after feature (other than it comes with the Bose)
- Do not think father unit has tested Bose NCs
- Father unit does not have the best hearing - imagine noise reducing, coupled with enclosed/over-the-ear would work best.

Thanks in advance!!

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 7
From my listening experience the HD-580 does sound much better when used with some sort of headphone amplification. When listening to the HD-580 out of the headphone out on my Ipod I felt they sounded a bit conjested and flat. If you don't plan on adding a headphone amp to your setup there are probably better options available.

I don't know if you've considered this or not but the HD-580 is an open headphone and might not be the best option in a noisy environment.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superman07
Not versed in ampage for headphones...would something as simple (?) as this work to realize the potential of this set of headphones?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/151703/

Rather not. Perhaps some amplifier with a decent headphone jack is already present? Otherwise I'd look at, say, a Go-Vibe, PA2V2, a decent pre-built Cmoy or something along these lines.

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 7
For around the house, look at the Sennheiser HD 555's as one of several points of reference. They're big, will look like a quality gift to your father, and are supposed to be among the very most comfortable headphones. I've been tempted -- maybe he can beta test them for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back