A Little Help On a Portable Setup
May 3, 2015 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Afashi

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here and new to the whole world of fine audio and I recently bought the Nad Viso HP50 and I would like to pair them with a nice set of DAP and amp. 

I was considering to acquire the new Fiio X3 and the iFi nano iCan. Do you think this is a good portable setup, HP50+X3+iCan?

What other setups would you recommend in the same price range?

Thanks a a lot for you help!

May 3, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 4
I was considering to acquire the new Fiio X3 and the iFi nano iCan. Do you think this is a good portable setup, HP50+X3+iCan?

The HP50 are not difficult to drive. You don't need the iFi.

However, if you want to spend more money on more amplification, why not get the X5 or the iBasso DX90? That's a more portable setup than hauling around the X3 with an extra headphone amp attached.

May 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 4
The HP50 are not difficult to drive. You don't need the iFi.

However, if you want to spend more money on more amplification, why not get the X5 or the iBasso DX90? That's a more portable setup than hauling around the X3 with an extra headphone amp attached.

So you think the X3 will drive my HP50 perfectly or I would gain something in terms of sound quality with the X5 or the DX90?

May 3, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 4
So you think the X3 will drive my HP50 perfectly or I would gain something in terms of sound quality with the X5 or the DX90?

The X5 or DX90 are considered a better quality DAC/amp than what the X3 has. Whether the difference for you would be significant for the price, only you can judge. If the extra money is not a big deal, then one advantage would be if you ever decided to buy another set of headphones that are difficult to drive.

The important thing to recognize is that sometimes headphones benefit from a more powerful amp to drive them, and in that case a better amp is more important. The HP50s have been measured to reach over 106db with 1mw into 32 ohms. Since the X3 is rated 270mw into 32 ohms, it could probably make your ears bleed. No power problem there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back