A little help: MFA in visual arts?
Feb 15, 2008 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mochimon

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a studio art undergrad based in photography at the University of Washington. I was just wondering if anyone has some advice for A: getting into good grad schools and B: getting a job (teaching maybe?).

im interested in contemporary art and looking at Yale, Columbia, UCLA, UC Riverside, and British Columbia University. my ideal goal is to make a living as an artist, and eventually teach (photography probably) at a university.

thanks guys,
mochi

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 3
you'll need an mfa to teach at the university level. besides that, it is useful to have an mfa (while a ba/bfa is not nearly as significant) in the long run, if you can afford it. portfolio and recommendations must be flawless to get you into those schools as they are some of the top mfa programs in the country. if you don't get your choice the first time, rework those two and apply again, but understand that space is very limited and you or anyone will need to be extraordinary. seriously. but they are also not the only GOOD programs, just the most widely known and competitive ones. and an mfa at a less prestigious institution is not at all a concern when applying for jobs- just ask your professors where they did their grad work. I bet less than 10% will be familiar places. this is even true for faculty at your selection of schools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back