A little help from my friends..
Dec 23, 2005 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

axion

Head-Fier
Ok well upto about 3 days ago I had no idea there was even such a thing as a headphone amp. Needless to say I stumbled on to these forums and was amazed that there was even such a community!

Anyway, my new computer is coming in the New Year, so what better than to order some new Headphones to go with the new computer so I've ordered some Sennheiser HD580's.

Now heres where I need your help, I play games about 10-15% of my time on the computer and music for the rest so I need a sound card which is fairly decent for music and gaming, so what are your opinions on a sound card for me?

I also understand I need a 'dac' so yeah what would you recommend for me. I guess I may aswell use this post to ask what amp I should get aswell.

I don't want to break the bank as I thought the 130 for the headphones was quite a lot however I realise that good parts don't come cheap. I wouldn't be against DIY as it could be a nice project for over the Christmas Holidays!

Thanks for the help in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by axion
I also understand I need a 'dac' so yeah what would you recommend for me.

Every sound device able to change digital stream (cd, mp3 etc.) into analog signal is equipped by a Digital-to-Analog-Convertor. You can't go without it
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway many people solve the same question in a good half of the threads around, so just feel free to have a look. For a 580, some amp would definitely be a good idea. As for sources, the names flying around are mostly emu 0404, 1212, av710, some x-fi, external "cards" and so on.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah I have been looking around there's just so much to take in and so many options it's hard to pick! :/

From what I understand the emu cards are no good for gaming, although this could be solve by having the emu for music and an audigy or something for games, however I could possibly get similiar quality from just one card and beable to play games, perhaps the X-Fi maybe? :/

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 4
i play quite a lot with my 0404 and never had a problem
smily_headphones1.gif
(new games such as quake 4 and cod2 works fine with it). Needless to say it doesn't have the gaming potential of an audigy/x-fi, but for some basic 2 channels sound it works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back