A little help for a semi-noob please...
Mar 29, 2006 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sac02

New Head-Fier
Here's my situation: several months ago a seller on eBay was clearing out lots of stock of shure headphones and I snatched up three pairs of e3c for $65-$75 each, and one pair of e2c for about 30 bucks. Figured at that price why not, I could even use them around campus where my headphones take a beating (constant in/out of pockets, etc.)

The thing is, I'm not liking them so much. I can't get used to the feel of canal-phones (new term - IEM???) like I thought I could, I REALLY have to do facial contorsions and jam them in there to get a good seal, and even so they sound a little thin to me. My ears feel fatiqued after only an hour at low volumes.

Add in the stethoscopic cable effect, and the fact that I can hear my own breathing and heartbeat w/ these jammed in my ear, and now I'm thinking it's time to buy some different 'phones. Ones that don't require me to sit still as a statue to avoid hearing the headphone instead of the music.

If you guys (and gals) don't mind, could you give me some recommendations for my situation?

1)I listen to a VERY wide range of music, anything from classical to electronic to rap to thrash metal. But for the most part I'd say 40-50% of my listening could be defined as some sort of "rock" genre. I rarely do critical listening sessions with headphones.
2)This will not be a portable setup, I'll continue to use iPod earphones w/out amp for ultra-portable, e3c and Headsave Go-Vibe for semi-portable. I will be using these new 'phones at home. Usually via computer, w/ or w/out Go-Vibe. I have no plans for more amplification.
3)I will probably keep one set of e3c, for times I may need the isolation (plane rides, etc.)
4)my budget is dictated by what I can get selling two pairs e3c and one pair e2c, so maybe ~$200? But I have no objection to spending less.
tongue.gif

What do you think? I've already seen a couple recommendations for Grado 225's as a "good for rock" headphone. Kind of at the very limit of my budget though...

All opinions welcome,

Mac Hooke

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 6

glac1er

500+ Head-Fier
I'd say go for the DT990. It's a great all-rounder especially in rock. They work fine with my GoVibe.
I think the SR225 is a bit better for fast rock songs, but they don't do other genre or slower rock as well.

I wrote something comparing the DT990 pro and the SR225 in this thread.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=dt990+SR225

Other great choice is the HD595, but considering you listen to 40-50% rock songs, the DT990 might be better.

EDIT: TYPO

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 6

F107plus5

Headphoneus Supremus
I've also heard lots of good things about the 225s, but if budget is considered, you may want to take a good look at the Alessandro MS-1.

The MS-1s do a great job with rock, but, due to being a little more neutral than the average(if ANY Grado can be considered Average)Grado, they give a better-than-expected presentation with a wider variety of tunes.

As far as critical listening sessions, the MS-1s may ask you to do more! They'll present you with lots of sonic information! One poster a few days ago suggested that perhaps the MS-1s were a bit TOO revealing!

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 6

sac02

New Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Grado SR225 or Audio Technica A900 or Sennheiser HD595 or Beyerdynamic DT990. I think you'll be quite happy whichever one you pick.
wink.gif

Call me crazy, but is there anyplace that I can go to actually listen to different headphones to decide which one I like? I live in College Station, TX, approximately equidistant from three of the largest cities in the US, (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio) surely there must be a store (or stores) that sell a few of these higher-end headphones? Trying to make such a decision without ever hearing the headphone has already not worked so well for me once...

Mac

Users who are viewing this thread