a little help. buying new headphones
Apr 7, 2006 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fatdave

New Head-Fier
hello, i currently have a pair of ety er4p with a total airhead amp. i'm thinking about getting a new pair of headphones/earphones mostly because i feel the er4p lacks the bass i want. i've been looking at the UE super.fi 5pro which seems like a pretty ok deal at $200. thats about how much i paid for my etys, but it seems like of pointless getting another pair of canalphones right? i would like to get a pair of closed cans but i have no idea where to look. i like how earphones are so portable but headphones are becoming very intriguing. hmm... or should i get a new amp? well, i have a sony nw-a3000 as my source and am willing to spend about $400 on headphones and $300 on amp. help! thanks.

Apr 7, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 11
IMHO IEMs should be avoided unless isolation and portability are high on your list. They just dont offer enough sonic quality for the $$$ spent ....
IMHO.

So, a full sized phone would be the next step up IMHO.

You can do a LOT with $700.

what kinds of music do you listen to?
Do you need any degree of isolation?
What kind of listener are you? Are you a detail freek?.. picking apart notes inside your head?.. are you a groove freek... juat groovin to the tune and humming a melody?... tag it with a groove/detail number... 50/50...30/70
Any specific physical or sonic preferences?... velour earpads, heavy bass...etc...

Garrett

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 11
i like all types of music but recently ive been listening to alot of rap/hip-hop. so thats why im interested in having more bass in my new phones. i do have about 600-700 to spend but i dont think id want to put in more that 500 on just phones right now. i guess what im looking for is a full sized phone with better sound quality than the er4p, heavy bass, and some kind of isolation, since i take the train and bus quite often.

im not really sure what you mean by groove freak but i definitely need detail. oh and whats IEM stand for?

thanks alot

Apr 10, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

as far as I know DT770 has a big bass

It really has. Booooom. But it's a kinda laidback & relaxed "subwooferish" bass. If you prefer high energetic kickbass, you better look elsewhere, i.e. Senn HD25-1, many Grados, AKG K81DJ, ...

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
It really has. Booooom. But it's a kinda laidback & relaxed "subwooferish" bass. If you prefer high energetic kickbass, you better look elsewhere, i.e. Senn HD25-1, many Grados, AKG K81DJ, ...

When people ask for bass means only bass what High end subwoofer produce IMO.
icon10.gif

I don't heard DT770 yet. But I can recommend ATH-A500 or ATH-A900. bass is energatic on them. And can match any high end subwoofer in bass quality.

Apr 11, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
I can recommend ATH-A500 or ATH-A900. bass is energatic on them. And can match any high end subwoofer in bass quality.

We have a A900 hype in our german hifi forum, which brought them into proud possession of increasing ~ 30% of the most active posters. If this tendency continues, they will become kinda status quo cans like the HD650.

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 11
I think A500 is more bang of the buck then A900. And they both are having WOW factor to make people please.

BTW... Other companies must take the notice that high end closed can's market is almost captured by Audio Technica... And they are proving a hype wrong that closed cans can't match the quality of opens...Where L3000 is staring at Orph...

We all are together in one point that we needs competetion MAN. Orph and L3000 must resistable for common peoples wallet.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back