A list of local electronics stores by city (with your help!)
Nov 26, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Utah, provo/orem area, there's Central Utah Electronics.

we'll go ahead and call that "Salt Lake City area"
tongue.gif
. in general, i'm using the <= 50 mile guideline if a given store is in a smaller city that's close to a big city.

on another note, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. keep 'em coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xmokshax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we'll go ahead and call that "Salt Lake City area"
tongue.gif
. in general, i'm using the <= 50 mile guideline if a given store is in a smaller city that's close to a big city.

on another note, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. keep 'em coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

It's 50+ miles from salt lake city, though. Provo aint exactly a suburb, contrary to popular belief.

I hear there are better shops in SLC, but that's an hour's drive away so i honestly never bothered to find out what they are.

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #18 of 32
Toronto area (parts):
Supremetronic (Queen St West)
Active Surplus (Queen St West)
Electrosonic (404/Steeles)
Toronto Surplus & Scientific (404/Steeles)
Globe Electronics (Keele St)
Parts Connexion (Burlington)

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's 50+ miles from salt lake city, though. Provo aint exactly a suburb, contrary to popular belief.

I hear there are better shops in SLC, but that's an hour's drive away so i honestly never bothered to find out what they are.

i relied on google maps, which told me 44mi... it's not terribly uncommon for me to drive that far for something in the bay area, but perhaps that's not the case elsewhere. i wasn't trying to suggest that Provo was a suburb... just figured the list would remain more legible and user-friendly if we kept the number of major city divisions to a minimum. if you think re-listing Provo as a separate location is more appropriate, i'll do that.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xmokshax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i relied on google maps, which told me 44mi... it's not terribly uncommon for me to drive that far for something in the bay area, but perhaps that's not the case elsewhere. i wasn't trying to suggest that Provo was a suburb... just figured the list would remain more legible and user-friendly if we kept the number of major city divisions to a minimum. if you think re-listing Provo as a separate location is more appropriate, i'll do that.

Honestly, most people in salt lake city won't drive to provo for love or money, let alone spare parts.

It's just an annoyance since i grew up here. I've worked for half a dozen companies "based in salt lake" that don't have so much as a post office box in salt lake county, because nobody outside of utah has any idea where anywhere else in utah is.

stealthiest damn half million people this side of the mississippi, we are.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #23 of 32
Atlanta:

Ack Electronics: A surprising range of stock - and sometimes old - they even carry a wide range of tubes! Hammond cases, precision resistors, semiconductors, switches, test equipment, etc. - pretty much a full-fledged electronics supply house.

Audio Lab of Georgia: Mostly speaker components, but they also carry semiconductors, along with NTE parts, Xicon caps, soldering equipment, heat shrink, connectors, etc., etc.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #24 of 32
More Toronto:
- A1 Electronics
- Active Component (next to electrosonic)
- Sayal
- ... and one more downtown not listed in previous posts (can't remember the name at the moment; will try)...

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #25 of 32
Hey everyone, I'm kind of surprised that New York hasn't made it onto this list yet, but does anyone know of a good/reputable store in the city (or Queens)?
I've tried the yellowpages and kelleysearch.com, but neither was of that much use (i.e. I wasn't able to get actual NY stores from kelleysearch and had no idea whether or not the yellowpages entries actually sell electronic components).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #26 of 32
Inz: i've been quite surprised that we've gotten no suggestions for NYC as well. i'm sure we must have more than a few members from that area.

to those members: help Inz out!
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone, I'm kind of surprised that New York hasn't made it onto this list yet, but does anyone know of a good/reputable store in the city (or Queens)?
I've tried the yellowpages and kelleysearch.com, but neither was of that much use (i.e. I wasn't able to get actual NY stores from kelleysearch and had no idea whether or not the yellowpages entries actually sell electronic components).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don't think there is one - used to be 20 years ago - no more

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #28 of 32
Michigan

St. Clair Shores (East side of Detroit)

Able Electronics - address / phone
expensive, but they have everything.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 32
Two more in Silicon Valley:
Excess Solutions
156 South Milpitas Blvd
Milpitas, CA 95035
Lots of passive components

ACE
1534 Berger Drive
San Jose, CA
Lots of active components

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #30 of 32
An update for the Utah area, there is Performance Audio in at 2456 S West Temple Salt Lake City, Utah. I have not been there yet, but I have read good things about them.

I am wondering if this thread should even be promoted to being a Wiki page for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back