A&K jr vs Fiio X7 vs Pioneer XDP-100r would like a new source cant decide.
Mar 18, 2016 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

headphone4me

New Head-Fier
I have a problem with not really knowing what I need exactly. I would like Tidal eventually, HiDef, MQA maybe.

Is Wifi needed?
Is Bluetooth on most DAPs?
I would like a digital out.

Smaller is better but lots of storage is nice also.

If the listed DAPs don't do something or another device does this all better let me know.

Price point is under $900. And prefer it be under $800 if possible.

For walking around I am getting a Cypher Theorem for my Iphone. But I really would like to get away from relying on apple stuff. I also would like to move up in sound quality.

Music Classical, Country, Jazz, Rock, 40's big band.

If I could get some help it would be really nice. I have read all I can on the FiiO X5II FiiO X7 A&K JR Pioneer XDP-100R.

I can not really get a feeling for what will be best for near future and for now.

I also would like to use it in the car if possible with the cleanest source.

Sorry for all the skipping around but I have been out of this for a while.

Headphones I have small Beyerdynamics and 880's Denon 5000 Audeze LCD2 Audio Technica pro500mk2 AKG 702 In ear but I really don't use those unless in public.

Maybe that will be enough information for some guidance.

I know many people have their preference but I don't really know anything about all the newer stuff. I am just tired of being tied to ITunes. Its nice and convenient but I still can not play some old files and want to start recording my CD and LP collection and do it in a better format.

Thanks for any help.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 14

I originally bought the Fiio X7. Sent it back, too many software problems. I then bought the Pioneer 100r. definitely a keeper. Android OS, easy to use, sounds fantastic. I have a formal review for the Pioneer if they will let me post it. I am new to this site. Just this week I purchased the Onkyo DP-X1 also. This my friend is an end game DAP for me. Dual Sabre Dacs, Dual Sabre Headphone amps.
Audio Nirvana!! The Balanced output is truly amazing. It is very clear and detailed. The player has wonderful dynamics. Have had it for three days and continue to be impressed. 
The player has two cons that could be a deal killer for some. It will not work as a stand alone DAC. It will not play DSD files natively.
Both issues are not important to me, more interested in what it will do.
It will sound Breathtaking!!!!!!!

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 14
Well I finally received my DP-X1 a few weeks back. Slowly I am getting equipped to listen to it. I have some SE535 burning in. I have had the craziest luck with it though. Even my old Sennheisers sound extremely good in single ended listening. The Shures are starting to sound better with a Linum cable and more burn in. I have to be careful. I spend any extra time and then some listening to different music. So I hope once burn in occurs the sound is all that I had hoped for. I am waiting on a cable for the PM-3 to get balanced sound. I hooked the PM-3 to my Lyre and if the balanced sound from the DP-X1 is that good well I really don't care about the shure except when going mobile. All I can say is this digital has finally taken a turn for the good. Thanks to Tidal and even Spotify. Onkyo has a winner.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 14

I know what you mean about listening to excess. I do the same thing. I'm using the Hifiman 400s. and Beyers DT-880. Both sound fantastic with the player. I have a balanced cable for the 400s. The upgrade in sound quality is amazing! The ACG mode along with the standalone setting makes the sound pristine. No distortion, great dynamics, no smearing what so ever. I might suggest alternative music apps to get the most out of the player. Neutron works well. JetAudio Plus with the plugins is my player of choice. I realize most people don't like the "Mad Scientist" approach to sound that I do, but it might be worth a try. I used to do sound mixing for local bands at various venues. EQ was a must in those situations.The practice has carried over to headphones for me. The 400s while sounding brilliant most of the time, is not known to be extremely detailed.With a few tweeks in JetAudio it becomes an entirely different  headphone.Scary Good. I have read the PM3's are a great headphone. No experience with them. Have fun experimenting!!

Enjoy Your Music!

May 4, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 14
  You who have heard these dap between fiio x7, Pioneer and Onkyo those sounds better?

Pioneer & Onkyo should technically sound the same when using the SE mode. Onkyo might have a significant advantage when used on balanced( I didnt try the balanced as i didnt have a cable for my ue900&Sine) . Now Fiio would be on different level with its modular approach like you can still run high demanding headphones using the AM2 and AM5 modules.

For me the difference was the approach on Android platform on these devices. Fiio has forked android running on it .A music mode with a builtin app and android mode to run your typical android apps like spotify ,tidal ,google play music. Now, the SOC used by Fiio is a moderate one so the device performance will be slower when using the 3rd party applications(ex youtube may not play properly) . Now Onkyo/Pioneer are running vanilla android on them with Snapdragon 801 SOC( same as Nexus 5)  so all the apps you would install will work smoothly but it effected the battery life too.  Fiio 3000+mah vs 1650mah( Onkyo/Pioneer). I once got only 6+hr max use on Onkyo. But Fiio runs a desktop class DAC so it does consume a lot of power itseems.

Sound wise, Onkyo on SE mode itself was a whole diff level for me(had a fiio x1 bfr ) . Didnt hear fiio X7 so cant comment to that.

May 4, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 14
  Pioneer & Onkyo should technically sound the same when using the SE mode. Onkyo might have a significant advantage when used on balanced( I didnt try the balanced as i didnt have a cable for my ue900&Sine) . Now Fiio would be on different level with its modular approach like you can still run high demanding headphones using the AM2 and AM5 modules.

For me the difference was the approach on Android platform on these devices. Fiio has forked android running on it .A music mode with a builtin app and android mode to run your typical android apps like spotify ,tidal ,google play music. Now, the SOC used by Fiio is a moderate one so the device performance will be slower when using the 3rd party applications(ex youtube may not play properly) . Now Onkyo/Pioneer are running vanilla android on them with Snapdragon 801 SOC( same as Nexus 5)  so all the apps you would install will work smoothly but it effected the battery life too.  Fiio 3000+mah vs 1650mah( Onkyo/Pioneer). I once got only 6+hr max use on Onkyo. But Fiio runs a desktop class DAC so it does consume a lot of power itseems.

Sound wise, Onkyo on SE mode itself was a whole diff level for me(had a fiio x1 bfr ) . Didnt hear fiio X7 so cant comment to that.

thanks, what do you think of lg v10 can compete with these dap?

May 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 14
  thanks, what do you think of lg v10 can compete with these dap?

Wells, v10 does have the same DAC as of XDP/DP X1 and so does oppo pm2 , but the DAPS have better amp i have read.So the sound should be same atleast when u r using IEMs. high power Headphones might sound diff(depending on ur comfort hearing level). 

So, it comes down to personal preference of  using ur phone vs ur phone+DAC/amp vs dedicated DAP for ur music. 

I have tried/(still using) the phone+DAC/amp since it has the feasibility of using the phones data on spotify( Tmobile free data) any where i want. But on long run, an android based DAP seems to be perfect for me

May 4, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 14
  Wells, v10 does have the same DAC as of XDP/DP X1 and so does oppo pm2 , but the DAPS have better amp i have read.So the sound should be same atleast when u r using IEMs. high power Headphones might sound diff(depending on ur comfort hearing level). 

So, it comes down to personal preference of  using ur phone vs ur phone+DAC/amp vs dedicated DAP for ur music. 

I have tried/(still using) the phone+DAC/amp since it has the feasibility of using the phones data on spotify( Tmobile free data) any where i want. But on long run, an android based DAP seems to be perfect for me

I have a grado sr225e 32 hom the v10 c is the will to drive it so I would agree if the v10 has the same sound of Onkyo and pionner, so the amplification is not important because I have a low headphone inpedenza.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 14
I know what you mean about listening to excess. I do the same thing. I'm using the Hifiman 400s. and Beyers DT-880. Both sound fantastic with the player. I have a balanced cable for the 400s. The upgrade in sound quality is amazing! The ACG mode along with the standalone setting makes the sound pristine. No distortion, great dynamics, no smearing what so ever. I might suggest alternative music apps to get the most out of the player. Neutron works well. JetAudio Plus with the plugins is my player of choice. I realize most people don't like the "Mad Scientist" approach to sound that I do, but it might be worth a try. I used to do sound mixing for local bands at various venues. EQ was a must in those situations.The practice has carried over to headphones for me. The 400s while sounding brilliant most of the time, is not known to be extremely detailed.With a few tweeks in JetAudio it becomes an entirely different headphone.Scary Good. I have read the PM3's are a great headphone. No experience with them. Have fun experimenting!!

Enjoy Your Music!
I am a big fan of Jet Audio plus too, i play my music through that app on my fiio x5iii and lz a4 iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back