A jump into the speaker-fi world!
Sep 30, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #46 of 53
Well, I don't think that the ferrari analogy is really approriate. It would be more like having a ferrari with not so good tired. You would still get the driving experience, it would be much better than the car of a 10th of the price, but you wouldn't the ferrari to its full potential. Actually, when I tried the system in the store, it sounded a lot better than speakers half the price and when I tried the speakers at home, sure it was not as good as in the store, but it sure was better than the other speakers in the store.

Sure, it's great just to sit in a Ferrari and start it up, even if you do spin out as soon as you use >30% throttle.

At this point we have no idea of whether the OP is able to treat his room. If he is, he will certainly get better performance buying considerably less expensive speakers and treating the room than he will by buying expensive speakers and not treating the room.

G

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #47 of 53

Well, I think I have an idea of wether or not the OP is able to treat his room. I am the OP... :p

Quote:
Sure, it's great just to sit in a Ferrari and start it up, even if you do spin out as soon as you use >30% throttle.
At this point we have no idea of whether the OP is able to treat his room. If he is, he will certainly get better performance buying considerably less expensive speakers and treating the room than he will by buying expensive speakers and not treating the room.
G

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #48 of 53
Well, I think I have an idea of wether or not the OP is able to treat his room. I am the OP... :p

Whoops, missed that one! :)

You're still making a mistake though in my opinion. I personally would stick with what you have for now (decent cans) and buy some cheap, decent speakers and save your money for some expensive speakers when you have the environment available to take advantage of them. That way, when you have your own space, you can buy the correct speakers for the size/volume of your new environment.

Your money and your decision though.

G

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #49 of 53
I'm starting to put together a speaker system on paper, with simplicity as a goal including staying away from tubes as much as possible. These two sit at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

1) Klein-Hummel o110a with K-H sub

2) Omega speakers, possible their new Hoyt Bedford line, with matching sub and super tweeter
     - Red Wine 30.2 Amp
     - pre-amp - not sure, but before dropping the cash for an Isabella, it makes more sense to sell
        whatever HPA, and replace with a Pinnacle. ARGH!   

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #50 of 53

I already bought the speakers and they almost sound as great as in the demo room that was treated! In my room they still sound better than the other speakers that I tried.
Quote:
Whoops, missed that one!
smily_headphones1.gif

You're still making a mistake though in my opinion. I personally would stick with what you have for now (decent cans) and buy some cheap, decent speakers and save your money for some expensive speakers when you have the environment available to take advantage of them. That way, when you have your own space, you can buy the correct speakers for the size/volume of your new environment.
Your money and your decision though.
G

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #51 of 53
I agree that the speakers should not be placed that way. However there are some constraint. I live in my mom's house (yes, I know, but I'm only 19 and a full time student!). I also watch a lot of movies, so I really want the tv there. By the way, there is a another couch on the right wall, so I'm not sure that moving le right speaker to the right would a good idea because the subwoofer would go directly into the couch.
The speakers are in a little angle from the wall, probably 5 or 10 degrees, but I'll surely try play with that angle soon.The speaker's wire are a little short too, 6 feet inch, so I don't think I could move the speakers apart a lot more.My friend's father shall come soon at my house with a good source (I play directly from laptop at the moment :S) and we'll try some different set up with my equipment.

Thanks for the tweeter tip, I'll definitly try that, and I think the listening position is about 9 feet away, it is exactly where the picture was taken from.

Hopefully, I'll buy a decent source soon! I'm not sure if I'll go vinyl or DAC (I don't have any vinyls yet, my amp doesn't have a phono preamp and my budget is about 900$ for everything). I'm also really wondering if I'll hear any difference with a new source, I'm doubteful about it as for now.

Thanks a lot at everyon who contributed to this topic.

The only other things that is a bit annoying is that I feel that they are not to their full potential because I don't have a decent source now and the listening room is not optimal. I hope to solve the latter issue in a few years when I'll have my own house. 

I'm not saying you need to get rid of the TV, just try to pull the speakers out in to the room a bit, ahead of the TV. Big boxes like that really mess with the phantom center image, and just a foot or two of space between the speaker and the front wall does wonders for depth to the soundstage. Can't you buy more speaker wire? BJC sells raw Belden 5000UE which is nice stuff for all of about 50 cents a foot.

For your source, can I suggest a PC based music server? An fanless, atom based server can be made for a few hundred, or you can just buy one for a bit more. Then get a V-DAC II. For treatments, Gik Acoustics sells very affordable panels that can be placed on stands, no need to actually put anything on the walls. Even just a pair at the first reflection points might do a lot.

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #52 of 53
I already bought the speakers and they almost sound as great as in the demo room that was treated! In my room they still sound better than the other speakers that I tried.

Either the demo room wasn't treated well, the speakers were not positioned well in the demo room or you are imagining they sound almost as good, but you cannot dismiss the significance of room acoustics on speaker performance. I'm sure your new speakers do sound better than the other speakers you tried but providing your new speakers justify their price, you've still overpaid for the performance you are getting out of them.

As I said though, it's your money and if you're happy with their (albeit restricted) performance then all is well.

G

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #53 of 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Back