A Head-Fi newbie looking for buying tips
Dec 27, 2010 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kiiskinen

100+ Head-Fier
Good grief, such a pain coming up with a good title and finding the right place to post this.. Hopefully I got it right.

Anyways, good day all!

I'll give you the short version first, since I know I have a habit of writing too much and not everyone is willing to read a huge wall of text:
- 500€ to spend, can extend up to 600 easily and 700 with a stretch
- Two pairs of headphones: One pair that's all about SQ for home and studio, one (cheaper) pair that's portable, energetic and aggressive, excelling in rock and heavy.
- A portable amp, a home amp and a dac.
- Taste in music is from classical to rock to rap to trance to pop to deathmetal to jazz to... Well, everything really. See link for a mosaic of my all time fav. albums if interested http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7227/mosaicsm.jpg

I've been a happy music lover for pretty much all my life, and I was perfectly happy with my pair of streetstyle Sonys and my iPod, until recently when I started recording vocals at a professional studio and magically developed a taste for... well, SQ.

My current set-up -- ignoring the stuff at the studio for now -- with my computer is a pair of Senn HD 428's, plugged into my stereo which is plugged into my comp. For outdoors/travel I've got a pair of Senn PMX 90's, a Cowon X7, an iPod Classic 80gb and a FiiO E5, which was enough stuff to keep my satisfied for about a week, and now I'm looking to upgrade, hopefully to a level above, if not to the highest possible level yet (uni. student here, not rolling around in cash).

What I'm looking for is:
- A pair of open/closed circumaural headphones for heavy use at home. I've been drooling for Senn 598's and 650's, but I'm open for suggestions (no AKG or Koss though, preferably). I'd love phones that are great with every type of music, but for home I prefer clear and balanced sound (not too heavy on the bass). The type of relaxed enjoyable sound that Sennheisers seem to provide.
- A pair of portable headphones that excell in rock. Compared to the cheap Sony Streetstyles both the 428's and PMX 90's lose when it comes to rock. They just don't have the certain 'edge' to the sound -- they sound too relaxing for rock. I've been looking at Ultrasone Zino and Grados iGrado to fill this void -- Any thoughts? I dislike IEM's and headbands (neckband is the best for me), but again I'm open for suggestions

- A portable amp, that also would work as a beginner level headphone amp & dac for me at home. Can be two products that together fill both these needs. I've been eyeing the FiiO E7 + E9 combo, that seems pretty much perfect as far as price goes, and from what I've heard and experienced FiiO products are not exactly bad either. Thoughts? Suggestions?

My budget for the whole thing is about 500€, but it's extendable up to 600, and if it benefits my setup greatly, even 700 is doable. Buying second-hand is not out of the question.

That's about all I think. Ask for more information if necessary. All tips and suggestions highly appreciated.

O.K.

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Are you really set on neckband portable phones? The Grado sound signature sounds like exactly what you're looking for in your portable phones, but the iGrados are a considerable step down from the SR60is, and also have quite a bit more bass, which you mentioned you prefer in moderation. 

If you're willing to brave the headband, I would recommend looking further up the Grado chain, and pairing them with a portable amp. The SR60i don't even need amping, and have a restrained bass and superior sound. As you're not averse to carrying around an amp, SR80i are a noticable step up again, for only a little more.

Another consideration is the Alessandro MS-1, which is a modified SR80i. These are $10 more than the SR80i, but have a slightly more laid back sound, which will be a less jarring transition from the Sennheiser sound signature. They also have less bass than the SR80i. Again, there's the headband to consider though. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:

I've been using neckband phones for close to a decade now, never leaving the house without, so I'm kinda used to having them around my neck (or on my ears, rather) :) So I'd really prefer them, but I'm not unwilling to explore new types either. Neckband phones seem to be few and far apart these days, and I was really counting on the PMX 90's to satisfy all my portable audio needs, but alas they didn't.

I'll probably carry an amp (either the E5 I already own or the E7 if I decide to buy it) with me regardless of whether there's absolutely need for one, so impedance shouldn't be a problem. Plus the X7 has a bit more juice than the average portable player.

I don't mind a vastly different sound signature too much, so I'll put the SR80i's down on my list with a big exclamation mark. Thanks for the tip :)

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 6
I'll give this one a bump, which shall remain as the first, last and thus only bump, as I have pretty much set my mind on what to buy, unless someone still can change my mind.

The first package that I will order during january will be:
- A pair of SR80i's
- FiiO E7
- FiiO E9
- A pair of PortaPros, just to see what all the fuzz is about

And later on this year:
-Sennheiser HD 650's

Totaling in about 650€.

A good entry level set on top of what I already have, that'll hopefully get me through 2011 without need for more upgrades, yes?

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 6
I just wanted to mention that the desktop setup in my sig has been making me very happy.  But the HDP DAC/HP amp might be a little over your budget.  Very nice for the money though, especially with the HD650's, imo.

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey and thanks for the input! I'll put the HDP down in my list to buy later on perhaps. Or maybe soon even if I come across some money :)

I ordered the FiiO package + SR80i's yesterday. In the end I wanted the Alessandros but I didn't want to get involved with toll fees and extra taxes and whatnot so I figured I'd try the Grado sound on for size.

I'm still stuck between the DT 990's and HD 650's, but I'll probably order them in spring/summer so I have a bit more time to think about my options. I'd really like a pair of Ultrasones too...

Freakin' head-fi, my wallet is really taking a beating -__- Oh well

Cheers,

O.K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back